New Mexico Law sees 50% drop in applications!

General discussions concerning institutions and degree programs.

New Mexico Law sees 50% drop in applications!

Postby nosborne48 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:18 pm

Amazing.

http://www.abqjournal.com/228003/news/u ... s-dip.html

Consider that UNM Law is cheap at about $45,000 total tuition for all three years together, in-state. Consider also that UNM Law is the only law school in the state and that we have a population of about 2 million. Finally, consider that UNM Law is a solid second-tier school with a good regional reputation.

Amazing.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Re: New Mexico Law sees 50% drop in applications!

Postby Rich Douglas » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:14 pm

It's time. The legal profession has been bloated for a long time. I wonder how much technology has to do with this, people handling things on their own. I don't profess to knowing the whole story, but jobs for grads have been difficult, no?
Rich Douglas

Postby nosborne48 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:31 pm

Difficult but here in the Southwest, employment is is about as hard to find as the new lawyer makes it. Flexibility is key; you need to be willing to go where that first job is even if the scenery there reminds you of "Road Warrior". There remains a trace of the infamous Millennial sense of entitlement that causes some kids to work at Sixbux and complain that there are no jobs instead of moving.

As I understand it, the situation in the Northeast Corridor and the major West Coast cities is much worse. There are no jobs to move TO for about half of the graduating class. A few get the message and come here and find work but we sure couldn't absorb the entire Class of Unemployed. Plus which, those folks are carrying $150,000 in student loan debt. There are very few jobs of any sort in New Mexico with salaries high enough to service that kind of debt. That's why I'm surprised at the UNM Law drop off; UNM costs about a third of what most schools charge for a J.D.
nosborne48

Postby Tark » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:32 pm

Take a look at the applicant pool (full-time only) for University of La Verne College of Law:

2008: 1,316
2009: 1,335
2010: 1,252
2011: 978
2012: 209

La Verne is an atypical case, because much of the drop presumably reflects their issues with ABA accreditation.
But La Verne does continue to be provisionally ABA accredited.
Tark

Postby nosborne48 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:19 pm

WOW! :shock:

I don't know whether LaVerne is so atypical, though. There's Western State and Whittier, both of which have had...ahem..."issues" in the recent past. Oh, and Golden Gate though I suspect GGU is doing okay. And that's just California.

You can't run a law school if no one wants to go there. Maybe the Invisible Hand of the Free Market is finally making its presence felt?

What I'd REALLY like to know is what's happening with the CBE schools. They tend considerably cheaper than the ABA institutions.
nosborne48

Postby johann » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:36 pm

nosborne48 wrote:Maybe the Invisible Hand of the Free Market is finally making its presence felt?

I've often thought the Invisible Hand is usually busy picking someone's pocket. :sad:

Johann
johann

Postby SteveFoerster » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:37 am

johann wrote:I've often thought the Invisible Hand is usually busy picking someone's pocket. :sad:

Well, but that's corporatism, not actual the market system for which the invisible hand is a metaphor. It's not an invisible hand if it's connected to a puppeteer....
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Return to General Discussions