Largest California Junior College to Lose Accreditation

General discussions concerning institutions and degree programs.

Re: Largest California Junior College to Lose Accreditation

Postby laxguy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:55 am

wow I had to read this twice just for it to sink in. One must wonder how this is even possible. Isn't accreditation supposed to "insert" checks and balances so it doesn't get to this stage. I think it is a sign of the accreditation system not living up to its own quality control mechanisms at the end of the day if a school can get to the point it can loose its accreditation. Especially one of this size. You have got to think about the thousands of grads and current students who's reputation can be effected as grads or students of a school that is experiencing this type of instability in it accreditations and quality assurance procedures.
laxguy

Re: Violent protest - all because there's a payment policy!

Postby johann » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:50 pm

Thread exhumed for new article. Protest turns violent over new policy. Now students have to PAY for their classes! How barbaric! :shock:

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/P ... 317593.php

What the heck is wrong with requiring students to pay when they register for classes, or make payment arrangements? Possibly, if this had been required long ago, CCSF would not be in such a precarious financial position that its accreditation is in jeopardy.

Johann
johann

Re: Largest California Junior College to Lose Accreditation

Postby johann » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:04 am

laxguy wrote:One must wonder how this is even possible. Isn't accreditation supposed to "insert" checks and balances so it doesn't get to this stage.

Not exactly. Becoming accredited requires that a school adhere to a set of financial, academic and other requirements. Staying accredited requires continued adherence to those standards. If a school strays from them in any way, the accreditor can call them on it; there are various remedies, e.g. warnings, probation, show cause orders...

If a school does not get back on track after sufficient warning, what else can the accreditor do, as a final step, other than withdraw accreditation? Schools have lost it in the past. I know of a school that operated for almost 140 years - then lost its Regional accreditation and subsequently closed. There are certainly other cases in which accreditation has been withdrawn -- and I'm sure there will be more. What CCSF may face is by no means a "first."

As for past grads - they'd be safe. If the school was accredited when they earned their degrees -- no problem. The school's present difficulties in no way reflect on them. The people who are still enrolled? Yes - they would certainly face problems if accreditation were withdrawn. If I were a current CCSF student, I'd be looking into the possibility of transfer credit, to finish up at another school.

Johann
johann

Previous

Return to General Discussions