WASC scheduled a site visit to CSU in December.

General discussions concerning institutions and degree programs.

WASC scheduled a site visit to CSU in December.

Postby vinny123 » Thu May 16, 2013 7:56 pm

The Western Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities is planning a site visit to California Southern University in Decemeber 2013. CSU already has been deemed by WASC to be eligible to apply for candidacy status and is in the process of self-study preparation for this visit. So IF CSU meets WASC'S criteria, they could potentially receive candidacy status by December 2013. IF they attain Candidacy status and IF they proceed "smoothly" according to the protocols and standards established and required by WASC, it is quite possible that CSU could obtain Regional Accreditation by 2016 (Source, WASC).

It is my impression that this school has a very good chance of achieving this milestone. This is based not only on the fact that they are already accredited by DETC but because Dr. Hecht, who attained Regional Accreditation for NCU, is also involved with CSU and their future development.
Vinny
vinny123

Re: WASC scheduled a site visit to CSU in December.

Postby Tark » Fri May 17, 2013 9:52 pm

California Southern University's law school lacks California Bar accreditation. This would seem to violate current WASC accreditation standards.

According to the WASC policy, law schools in California need to have California Bar accreditation before they are eligible for WASC accreditation. (The WASC policy doesn't explicitly mention ABA-approved schools, but they are covered implicitly, because CalBar automatically confers accreditation on any law school that is approved by ABA.)

California Southern is currently listed in CalBar's "unaccredited correspondence" category.

So in order to get WASC accreditation, California Southern's options would seem to be:

(1) close the law school;
(2) get CalBar or ABA accreditation for the law school (no signs that this is happening);
(3) separate the law school as a different educational entity (which would not have WASC accreditation);
(4) convince WASC to change its current policy (could be difficult).

Didn't see any discussion of this issue at the California Southern website. I wonder what they are telling their law students.
Tark

Postby vinny123 » Fri May 17, 2013 10:55 pm

I believe that CSU's Law Program is only registered as an unaccredited Juris Doctor so it will be interesting to observe how CSU will handle this issue. What is clear at this point is that CSU has applied and received eligibility status to move towards candidacy status with WASC which means that WASC is aware of the unaccredited status of CSU's law program. In addition, the fact that Dr. Hecht is involved in CSU's process to acquire RA is quite meaningful, based on his history of success with NCU, and there is no doubt that he is VERY aware of the factors/limitations that could pre-empt their obtaining this milestone as well as what has to be done to counter this potential "deal breaker". I don't believe that CSU is attempting a feint to attract more students by seeking RA and that CSU still stands a very good chance of attaining this objective. We shall see how this situation evolves.
Vinny
vinny123

Postby Rich Douglas » Fri May 17, 2013 11:32 pm

Positives:

CSU is already accredited by a recognized agency (DETC).

The owner founded the HCA-accredited Northcentral University

Negatives:

CSU is DETC-accredited. A leap from there to RA is extremely rare. IIRC, no school has done that with WASC.

CSU is SCUPS, and SCUPS did some deceptive things. It's been a while, though, so perhaps their good history since will prevail.

They might have to drop (or spin off) the law school.

WASC is one of the more hostile accreditors to 100% DL schools. Touro University International did an end-around this by coming under the auspices of Touro College in New York, but the Middle States ended that silliness and sent them to WASC. Their history with WASC (including a name change to TUI then to Trident) has been rocky. Also, I don't believe WASC has accredited a 100% DL school offering the doctorate except for the TUI situation they inherited.

Bottom Line: Who knows? It is a long way from here to there. Being a correspondent or an applicant doesn't mean much. But candidacy would be a near-clincher. Until then, forward-looking statements will be largely hope or pessimism, depending on your point of view.
Rich Douglas

Postby John Bear » Sat May 18, 2013 7:15 am

In the posthumous edition of my book* I'll have a lot to say about WASC, much of it based on a clandestine meeting I had each year with the then-Executive Director of WASC (for 8 years), Steve Weiner. We'd meet for breakfast at Mama's Royal Cafe, a great little breakfast joint in Oakland, and talk shop, sharing facts, gossip, rumors, etc. Great fun. Some amazing stories about accreditation in general, and life at WASC in particular. Steve died last month (Obituary: http://www.wascsenior.org).

I review my quite thick file on Mr. Hecht from time to time. Here's one of the interesting articles, from the utterly respectable Chronicle of Higher Education, about the Hawaii connections. http://chronicle.com/article/Accreditat ... e-in/12739

Postby nosborne48 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:42 pm

Spin it off or drop it altogether, I guess. The law school, I mean. Taft separated its law school from the rest of the university when it moved most of its operations to Colorado. The rump law school had to stay in California to maintain bar eligibility. I figured they were going to try for regional accreditation from someone other than WASC a la Concord but Taft hasn't said anything about it yet.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby vinny123 » Sat May 18, 2013 4:03 pm

The fact that CSU evolved from SCUPS is not a prognostic indicator whatsoever as to whether it will achieve RA or not! The critical factor is that CSU attained DETC accreditation and is on a trajectory to evolve further by seeing regional accreditation and it's past will have no bearing on whether it succeeds in its quest to achieve this objective.

The fact that Dr. Hecht was involved with the Hawaii episode as noted in the Chronicle of Higher Education is irrelevant in terms of CSU's current objective to attain regional accreditation. The fact that Dr. Hecht has a history of success in taking a school, NCU, a 100% online distance degree program, from it's nascence to a level of sophisticated readiness to attain regional accredition, is relevant and very significant, resulting in my impression that CSU has a good "shot" of achieving their current goal.
Vinny
vinny123

Return to General Discussions