What Recruiters Look At During The 6 Seconds They Spend On Y

General discussions concerning institutions and degree programs.

What Recruiters Look At During The 6 Seconds They Spend On Y

Postby Eric » Fri May 03, 2013 1:59 pm

What Recruiters Look At During The 6 Seconds They Spend On Your Resume
Vivian Giang|April 09, 2012|1,580,056|208
(TheLadders)

Although we may never know why we didn't get chosen for a job interview, a recent study is shedding some light on recruiters' decision-making behavior. According to TheLadders research, recruiters spend an average of "six seconds before they make the initial 'fit or no fit' decision" on candidates.
The study used a scientific technique called “eye tracking” on 30 professional recruiters and examined their eye movements during a 10-week period to "record and analyze where and how long someone focuses when digesting a piece of information or completing a task."
In the short time that they spend with your resume, the study showed recruiters will look at your name, current title and company, current position start and end dates, previous title and company, previous position start and end dates, and education.

Read more: http://articles.businessinsider.com/201 ... z2SEo0uytI
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Re: What Recruiters Look At During The 6 Seconds They Spend

Postby johann » Fri May 03, 2013 7:49 pm

Six seconds, huh? A sad commentary on the huge number of resumes per vacancy!

Note to self: Consider getting rid of some of my recruiters, here at Monstro Industries. Replace them with keyword-scanning devices. Automating the selection process entirely could save me almost six seconds per decision.

Time is money.... :(

Johann
johann

Postby nosborne48 » Fri May 03, 2013 10:17 pm

FWIW, here at my State agency, we spend a lot more than 6 seconds on a resume. Every application is examined cover-to-cover and, if the applicant meets the specific job requirements, s/he will receive an interview.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby SteveFoerster » Fri May 03, 2013 11:17 pm

I've hired people, and I went through each resume and cover letter carefully. However, in these cases I wasn't dealing with a flood of applicants and I realize that's not always so.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby johann » Fri May 03, 2013 11:58 pm

nosborne48 wrote:FWIW, here at my State agency, we spend a lot more than 6 seconds on a resume. Every application is examined cover-to-cover and, if the applicant meets the specific job requirements, s/he will receive an interview.

SteveFoerster wrote:I've hired people, and I went through each resume and cover letter carefully. However, in these cases I wasn't dealing with a flood of applicants and I realize that's not always so.

Good to know. Glad it hasn't spread to where you guys work, Nosborne and Steve. I'm also glad my working years didn't subject me - or others I knew or worked with - to the 6-second process. I know that any job is usually preferable to no job, but I can't imagine there's much satisfaction or good morale in working somewhere that makes human capital decisions in six seconds. I wonder what an annual review takes? Maybe eight seconds, tops... :( Holy cow --it's like the burger biz! Hire 'em fast -- turf 'em fast! Turnover - no problem!

Now if the six-second "guns" will just "supersize" the salaries... maybe, then, it's bearable. I dunno. I know I'd be pretty insulted if I knew a company was only willing to invest six seconds in me.

Johann
johann

Postby Eric » Sat May 04, 2013 5:28 am

Be it 6 sec or 2 hours, I think to have a better formatted resume is good.

Then TheLadders to whom I subscribe are among other things in the b business of charging good money for rewriting and reformatting resumes of it clients.
So there is possible bias in such an article that may be targeting clients to get TheLadders resume services.
I do know one person who via TheLadders landed a good job. Not sure what service of their he used.
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby SteveFoerster » Sat May 04, 2013 11:00 am

Eric wrote:Then TheLadders to whom I subscribe are among other things in the b business of charging good money for rewriting and reformatting resumes of it clients.
So there is possible bias in such an article that may be targeting clients to get TheLadders resume services.

Good point -- follow the money.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby johann » Sat May 04, 2013 4:04 pm

Eric wrote:Be it 6 sec or 2 hours, I think to have a better formatted resume is good.

Can't argue with that, Eric. :)
Eric wrote:Then TheLadders to whom I subscribe are among other things in the business of charging good money for rewriting and reformatting resumes of it clients. So there is possible bias in such an article...

Sure...and why not? The articles are created to inform and assist in drumming up business. Nothing wrong with that. I read other articles from TheLadders page and thought they made a lot of sense. If their services help people get jobs/better jobs, (and I assume they do) then they are certainly worth money.

Johann
johann

Return to General Discussions