computer & internet

General discussions concerning institutions and degree programs.

computer & internet

Postby ungellaxy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:16 am

What software is the best for teaching people how to use the computer and internet? want to get my mom a teaching tool for understanding how to use the computer and internet for christmas. I've tried myself to teach her, but I wasn't good at doing so. What is the best program out there? She knows absolutlely nothing about computers, never touched one and he has an attitude that she never will need to use one.
ungellaxy

Re: computer & internet

Postby johann » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:01 pm

ungellaxy wrote:She knows absolutlely nothing about computers, never touched one and he has an attitude that she never will need to use one.

Then why are you making her learn something she does not want to know? You should be nice to your mother! :)
Plus - there are too many people on the internet already -- including me!

Johann
johann

Postby SteveFoerster » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:44 pm

My Mom doesn't really want to know how it works, she just wants it to do what she needs. I set her up with Ubuntu Linux several years ago, and she's been fine on that ever since.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby johann » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:57 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:My Mom doesn't really want to know how it works, she just wants it to do what she needs. I set her up with Ubuntu Linux several years ago, and she's been fine on that ever since.

Good choice - ANY Linux. However, if you want to visit Mom a LOT more often, switch her to Windows! You'll have so much to do, you'll have to move back home! :D

Johann

PS -"ANY Linux" - wasn't she one of the Eurythmics? No...? :D
johann

Postby SteveFoerster » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:27 pm

johann wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:My Mom doesn't really want to know how it works, she just wants it to do what she needs. I set her up with Ubuntu Linux several years ago, and she's been fine on that ever since.

Good choice - ANY Linux. However, if you want to visit Mom a LOT more often, switch her to Windows! You'll have so much to do, you'll have to move back home! :D

In fairness, Ubuntu is supposed to be the easy one, but even it occasionally does things that I know would stymie nontechnical people, and they're things that show that the company that sponsors it spends a few too many resources on new features of dubious value and not enough on system testing and bug fixing. But I wouldn't go back.

PS -"ANY Linux" - wasn't she one of the Eurythmics? No...? :D

Oh my. :smile:
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby johann » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:19 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:Ubuntu is supposed to be the easy one...

Hmmm- I'd better make this short - or I'll be starting yet another mega-thread on Linux. :)

Ubuntu is a good choice, Steve -and I agree, nothing is perfect. I racked up a whole drawer full of live-CD Linux distros, looking for the one I could live with permanently. I settled on Slitaz, the French distro - with all the screens in English. It's minimal, even skeletal compared to full-whack Ubuntu, but there's a well-stocked repository for software. As the bandwidth was free, and I'm into 100% off-line computing at home (by choice) I even downloaded the entire repository (about 3 gig) onto a DVD. Documentation is fabulous -- and I have a nice book (printed from PDF) as a result.

One interesting thing about Slitaz. The shell is the not-so-common ash (not Bash) shell. This same shell (by Kenneth Almquist) is the one used in Android, which has some Linux roots.

Linux - proof that the best things in life are free -- well, at least some of 'em. :)

Johann
johann

Return to General Discussions