California Southern U. eligible to seek RA candidacy.

General discussions concerning institutions and degree programs.

California Southern U. eligible to seek RA candidacy.

Postby vinny123 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:32 am

Based on my discussion with an Admissions Counselor at CSU, this school has been found eligible to prepare for and seek regional accreditation candidacy status by WASC. According to this Counselor CSU is currently engaged in the the "self" study process necessary to pursue candidacy status.

Based on their sister school's (NCU) tenuous start and in spite of the negative position held by a number of posters that they would not attain regional accreditation, it is very possible that CSU will follow suit and achieve this goal as well.
Vinny
vinny123

Re: California Southern U. eligible to seek RA candidacy.

Postby Eric » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:41 am

CSU is Nationally Accredited University and a long time CA Approved School.
There is no negative opinions about it today.

I think majority here are for the best service of students. It appears that school is focused more on Applied vs Research based degree programs.
Its harder for Graduates to get accepted or transfer to RA universities today.
When CSU achieve RA it will serve the graduates even better. I'm glad to hear that CSU is preparing seriously for RA, NCU is RA true Central States.

My understanding is that WASC is stricter.
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby nosborne48 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:11 pm

Interesting post, Vinney. I wonder if CSU is going to drop its J.D.then? WASC says (or at least, used to say last time I looked) that it wouldn't accredit any California law school unless that school was approved by the ABA or accredited by the California State Bar. Neither agency accredits distance J.D. programs.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby vinny123 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:45 pm

In regard to their Psy.D program, regional accreditation will bolster this degree's level of acceptability by a number of state boards of mental health professions (ie, Counseling, Psychology, etc) that currently do not recognize doctorates from national accredited agencies as well as enhance the credibility of this degree with prospective employers.
Vinny
vinny123

Postby nosborne48 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:08 pm

Here's the WASC policy on California law schools:

http://www.wascsenior.org/files/Law_Sch ... icy_on.pdf
nosborne48

Postby Jonathan Whatley » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:16 pm

An interesting catch! Hmm.

At some point they'd either have to spin off the J.D. program, or convince WASC to change or override the policy.
Jonathan Whatley

Postby nosborne48 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:33 pm

Concord Law School got around this problem by merging their California DETC accredited distance law school into the regionally accredited Kaplan University, Kaplan has its accreditation from NCU which has no WASC-type restriction. But I don't think CSU has that option?

Taft spun its law school off and moved everything else to Colorado but the whole Taft University System remains DETC only.
nosborne48

Postby Rich Douglas » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:59 am

vinny123 wrote:Based on my discussion with an Admissions Counselor at CSU, this school has been found eligible to prepare for and seek regional accreditation candidacy status by WASC.

In reality, this means very little. I guess we'll see if it becomes a candidate.

I wonder what the statue of limitations on being SCUPS is?
Rich Douglas

Postby vinny123 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:16 pm

In reality, it does NOT mean very little because this school would not make such a public assertion unless they were seriously considering to prepare and seek candidacy status with WASC.

In reality, Douglas was one of the primary posters who held that NCU would not attain RA status when this school announced its plan to seek RA candidacy status. In addition it was Douglas who adamantly claimed that MIGS was a legitimate school, although subsequently denying promoting the virtues of this so-called "school". So much for accurate predictions.
Vinny
vinny123

Postby SteveFoerster » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:28 pm

vinny123 wrote:In reality, it does NOT mean very little because this school would not make such a public assertion unless they were seriously considering to prepare and seek candidacy status with WASC.

Right, because schools never make forward looking statements about accreditation that turn out later to be baseless.

In reality, Douglas was one of the primary posters who held that NCU would not attain RA status when this school announced its plan to seek RA candidacy status. In addition it was Douglas who adamantly claimed that MIGS was a legitimate school, although subsequently denying promoting the virtues of this so-called "school". So much for accurate predictions.

Troll as much as you want, but "I guess we'll see if it becomes a candidate" is hardly a controversial prediction.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby vinny123 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:41 pm

Forester: Right, because schools [i]never[/i] make forward looking statements about accreditation that turn out later to be
Forester: Troll as much as you want, but "I guess we'll see if it becomes a candidate" is hardly a controversial prediction.[/quote]

VINNY: Forester, if you wish your defensive comments to be seen as credible it would help a great deal if YOU quote Douglas's statement in its entirety rather than selectively abstract sentences that do not convey his negative perception towards this school. In fact, his leading statement was "In reality, this means VERY little".

In fact it does NOT mean very little because this ACCREDITED school is not one of the fly by night so-called schools, such as MIGS as well as others, who make such statements with the intent of falsely promoting the credibility of their school to attract naive prospective students to enroll. Obviously, we will have to wait to determine if CSU achieves their goal but the question here is the credibility of their intent and in that regard it is unquestionably credible.
Vinny
vinny123

Postby nosborne48 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:15 pm

Does it matter to the discussion that CSU is currently an accredited institution as opposed to unaccredited? I don't know how much overlap there might be between the requirements for WASC and the requirements for DETC but I should imagine that CSU has an idea of how to go about it.

Second question...if WASC denies candidacy to CSU what will that say, if anything, about WASC's attitude toward DETC accreditation in general?
nosborne48

Postby Hungry Ghost » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:21 pm

vinny123 wrote:Based on my discussion with an Admissions Counselor at CSU, this school has been found eligible to prepare for and seek regional accreditation candidacy status by WASC.

Assuming that this information is accurate, it's a positive step for Cal Southern.

Rich Douglas wrote:In reality, this means very little.

I sort of agree with that and sort of don't.

In the last couple of decades WASC watched a number of rather hopeless and millish schools apply to a variety of accreditors. These schools basically had a snowball's chance in hell of ultimately being accredited, but by initiating the accreditation process they could dodge (perhaps for years) state laws that only permit accredited schools to operate in particular states, while the school's marketing could boast about being in the process of becoming accredited. (DETC lets this happen.) So WASC created a new requirement that applicant schools apply for the privilege of initially applying, so to speak. Initial contacts are peer-reviewed by WASC members, and WASC will only allow schools that at least superficially appear to have some substance to proceed from there. So WASC accepting Cal Southern as an applicant does tell us something.

But... what it tells us isn't very surprising. Cal Southern is already DETC accredited, and that's probably enough right there for Cal Southern to pass the initial WASC smell-test. DETC has already vetted it.

SteveFoerster wrote:Right, because schools never make forward looking statements about accreditation that turn out later to be baseless.

It's true that all we have at this point is an anecdotal internet discussion board post about something that was supposedly said in a telephone conversation or something. But the report does sound plausible to me. The thing is, we shouldn't interpret it as anything more than it is.

What we need to see next is Cal Southern appearing as a candidate on the WASC directory. That would tell us a lot more, since WASC doesn't advance schools to candidacy unless it thinks that they have a realistic chance of eventually meeting all of the accreditation standards. That's probably a couple of years off if it comes, given the documentation that Cal Southern will have to provide and the need to schedule a site-visit. And it would only be eventual accreditation that would inform us that WASC has judged that all of its standards have been met. That might never happen, but starting the process is a positive move.
Hungry Ghost

Postby vinny123 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:49 pm

[quote="Hungry Ghost"][quote="vinny123"]Based on my discussion with an Admissions Counselor at CSU, this school has been found eligible to prepare for and seek regional accreditation candidacy status by WASC.[/quote]

HUNGRY GHOST: Assuming that this information is accurate, it's a positive step for Cal Southern.

VINNY: In lieu of "assuming" the accuracy of the information I presented , why don't YOU take the initiative, as I did in good faith, to call CSU and either corroborate the information I presented or negate it. Otherwise, your hyper-intellectualized conjecturing regarding the credibility of my information is completely worthless and does not add a smitten of positive information regarding this topic.

[quote="Rich Douglas"]In reality, this means very little.[/quote]

HUNGRY GHOST: I sort of agree with that and sort of don't.

In the last couple of decades WASC watched a number of rather hopeless and millish schools apply to a variety of accreditors. These schools basically had a snowball's chance in hell of ultimately being accredited, but by initiating the accreditation process they could dodge (perhaps for years) state laws that only permit accredited schools to operate in particular states, while the school's marketing could boast about being in the process of becoming accredited. (DETC lets this happen.) So WASC created a new requirement that applicant schools apply for the privilege of initially applying, so to speak. Initial contacts are peer-reviewed by WASC members, and WASC will only allow schools that at least superficially appear to have some substance to proceed from there. So WASC accepting Cal Southern as an applicant does tell us something.

But... what it tells us isn't very surprising. Cal Southern is already DETC accredited, and that's probably enough right there for Cal Southern to pass the initial WASC smell-test. DETC has already vetted it.

[quote="SteveFoerster"]Right, because schools never make forward looking statements about accreditation that turn out later to be baseless.[/quote]

HUNGRY GHOST: It's true that all we have at this point is an anecdotal internet discussion board post about something that was supposedly said in a telephone conversation or something. But the report does sound plausible to me. The thing is, we shouldn't interpret it as anything more than it is.

What we need to see next is Cal Southern appearing as a candidate on the WASC directory. That would tell us a lot more, since WASC doesn't advance schools to candidacy unless it thinks that they have a realistic chance of eventually meeting all of the accreditation standards. That's probably a couple of years off if it comes, given the documentation that Cal Southern will have to provide and the need to schedule a site-visit. And it would only be eventual accreditation that would inform us that WASC has judged that all of its standards have been met. That might never happen, but starting the process is a positive move.[/quote]

VINNY: Once again, as your history clearly reveals, your infantilizing pontifications to posters as if they are dolts does not add any substantive matter to this discussion but your in-the-clouds speculations leading to nowhere.

To repeat, the ONLY information I presented was regarding a discussion with an Admissions Counselor at CSU which merely reveals the INTENT of this school to prepare for possible RA candidacy in the future. Nothing more, nothing less. For you to take this bit of information to an entirely unrelated level merely obfuscates this information that I conveyed to members of this forum who may be interested in the direction that CSU may be taking in the future.
Vinny
vinny123

Postby vinny123 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:23 pm

As an addendum to the above, I just spoke with a representative of WASC who confirmed CSU's application and eligibility to prepare for RA candidacy status and that WASC is planning an initial visit to CSU in the Fall of 2013.
Vinny
vinny123

Next

Return to General Discussions