What's the accreditation status of Charisma University?

General discussions concerning institutions and degree programs.

What's the accreditation status of Charisma University?

Postby Tad_29 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:00 pm

Hi,

I am new to this board. I wanted to find out about the accreditation status of Charisma University (charismauniversity.org). The institution operates from the Philippines. It claims to be accredited by the Accreditation Service for International Colleges (ASIC) in the United Kingdom. The ASIC website lists the university on the "International College" page. I did a little research on ASIC, but I wasn't able to find much beyond conflicting claims as to the the status of the new British accrediting body. What are they actually authorized to do in Britain in terms of accreditation? Would degrees accredited by this body be recognized as legitimate around the world? I am interested in this question because the school offers an MA in TESOL at a fairly affordable rate. Maybe some of you can help me to determine the institution's value or lack thereof based on its accreditation status. I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Tad_29

Re: What's the accreditation status of Charisma University?

Postby Rich Douglas » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:02 pm

It isn't accredited. That isn't accreditation.

"If you have to ask...."
Rich Douglas

Postby nosborne48 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:52 pm

Okay, now I'm confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accreditat ... l_Colleges

If it isn't accreditation, what is it?
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:49 am

I think this type of accreditation is not equivalent to US Regional Accreditation.

Maybe some vocational qualifications and some of the accredited schools may be able to award recognized vocational qualifications qualification.

They are accredited for the Student Visa to study in UK or outside UK for vocational award not to confuse with Royal charter or Privy Council etc.
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby Rich Douglas » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:04 pm

It might be some form of recognition. But it doesn't confer a status on the school comparable to being accredited in the U.S.
Rich Douglas

Postby johann » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:59 am

Rich Douglas wrote:... it doesn't confer a status on the school comparable to being accredited in the U.S.

No, indeed it doesn't. However, University of Atlanta makes claims that it does. U of A's DETC accreditation expires next June. Now they're with ASIC. :D

http://www.uofa.edu/accreditation.asp?sec=accreditation

A quote: ASIC is a member of Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) International Quality Group (CIQG).

Yes - but that does NOT make ASIC a CHEA-recognized accreditor. It's simply NOT. Check the list! http://www.chea.org

ASIC's basic "accreditation" function (reporting to the UK Border Agency) was originally to make sure British schools enrolling foreign students were on the up-and-up...teaching real classes and not harboring terrorists, undesirables or involved in illegal foreign-labour scams etc. As do cash-strapped orgs everywhere in the Euro-zone, ASIC has expanded its own purview and is marketing its services to all potential customers.

ASIC is not a "real" accreditor, as the word is understood in this forum. ASIC seal of approval on a school does NOT mean its degrees have any standing - or grant it any authority to issue them in the first place. As I see it, it's elaborate window-dressing.

Here's ASIC's own blurb: http://www.asic.org.uk/about.php

Now, back to sleep, for me. Winter has hardly even started, here in the Great White North, eh?

Johann
johann

Postby raoshirvani » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:47 pm

Since its address is located in: San Pedro Laguna, Philippines, according to their website (http://www.charismauniversity.org/contact.php)

And they are not accredited and recognized by CHED, Philippines
(see http://www.ched.gov.ph/chedwww/index.ph ... ions-HEIs/)

They degrees is useless for the time being, unless they secure their government recognition in the Future..
raoshirvani

Postby johann » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:15 pm

raoshirvani wrote:They degrees is useless for the time being...

Right. Umm - their degrees certainly are. :)

They might be useless for a long time. ASIC, which "accredits" Charisma, has recently "accredited" an out-and-out degree mill, "Orlando University" - discussed in another thread. This fake-school is not the one with exactly the same name, which is currently a DETC applicant. ASIC has "accredited" some iffy schools in the past, but now, by "accrediting" a mill, it has finally made a blatant display of its true colours.

Johann
johann

Postby Samuel » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:32 am

Hello Folks, there seems to be some misunderstanding here, and let me clarify. Charisma University truly is legal in Philippines. My inquiries from CHED, Program and Standard Department, revealed to me at the time Charisma University was establishing in Philippines in 2011, they had consultation with CHED Program and Standard Department in order to submits its application for recognition BUT CHED Program and Standard Department had told Charisma University that they were not accepting any new application from schools for recognition at that time because they plan to review their process of granting recognition to schools. CHED Program and Standard Department performed brief review of Charisma University, and offered verbal approval to Charisma University. It is under this verbal approval that Charisma Unversity proudly establishes itself in Philippines. Institutions in Philippines listed in HEI are those that have gone CHED recognition process. Charisma University remains in communication with CHED and will undergo the same process to be listed in the HEI list of Philippines. I was told that Charisma University is currently in this process. So, it turns out really that Charisma University is legal. Also, please note that CHED has no authority to accredit institutions in Philippines; they only confer recognition. Accreditation in Philippines is voluntary and CHED highly recommends international recognized accreditations from UK, US etc. Charisma University did a great a job to secure its accreditation from a UK recognized body, ASIC. It must also be noted that ASIC is a recognized accrediting body in UK and carries thorough site visits to each school before granting accreditation. ASIC does not accredit institutions that have no legal base in their home countries. I totally disagree with Johann on his comments against ASIC on this.

Another thing I must add is that, Charisma University appears to have superb curricula with sufficient and qualified faculty members. The University is also undergoing some additional government recognitions from other countries.

I will conclude by asking everyone that posted in this forum, to be kind enough to delete his/her post(s) made against Charisma University and ASIC. I have also alerted Charisma University officials on this to take proper legal actions regarding this forum.
Samuel

Postby Matt » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:29 am

Samuel wrote:Hello Folks, there seems to be some misunderstanding here, and let me clarify. Charisma University truly is legal in Philippines. My inquiries from CHED, Program and Standard Department, revealed to me at the time Charisma University was establishing in Philippines in 2011, they had consultation with CHED Program and Standard Department in order to submits its application for recognition BUT CHED Program and Standard Department had told Charisma University that they were not accepting any new application from schools for recognition at that time because they plan to review their process of granting recognition to schools. CHED Program and Standard Department performed brief review of Charisma University, and offered verbal approval to Charisma University. It is under this verbal approval that Charisma Unversity proudly establishes itself in Philippines. Institutions in Philippines listed in HEI are those that have gone CHED recognition process. Charisma University remains in communication with CHED and will undergo the same process to be listed in the HEI list of Philippines. I was told that Charisma University is currently in this process. So, it turns out really that Charisma University is legal. Also, please note that CHED has no authority to accredit institutions in Philippines; they only confer recognition. Accreditation in Philippines is voluntary and CHED highly recommends international recognized accreditations from UK, US etc. Charisma University did a great a job to secure its accreditation from a UK recognized body, ASIC. It must also be noted that ASIC is a recognized accrediting body in UK and carries thorough site visits to each school before granting accreditation. ASIC does not accredit institutions that have no legal base in their home countries. I totally disagree with Johann on his comments against ASIC on this.

Another thing I must add is that, Charisma University appears to have superb curricula with sufficient and qualified faculty members. The University is also undergoing some additional government recognitions from other countries.

I will conclude by asking everyone that posted in this forum, to be kind enough to delete his/her post(s) made against Charisma University and ASIC. I have also alerted Charisma University officials on this to take proper legal actions regarding this forum.

:shock: Wow! A threat of legal action!! Quick, run, hide...... :mrgreen:

Matt
Matt

Postby johann » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:56 pm

Samuel wrote:So, it turns out really that Charisma University is legal.

"Legal" doesn't necessarily mean "good" or "accredited."

Samuel wrote:Charisma University did a great a job to secure its accreditation from a UK recognized body, ASIC.

Yep. Great job! Got its "accreditation" from the same yelp that "accredited" a known degree mill - the thoroughly spooflicate "Orlando University" - OU(2), not OU (1). ASIC "accredited" the "Orlando U." NOT on the DETC list. I'd like to know where they made that "site visit." I've been unable to find a physical location, but my money's on Pakistan...or maybe the Philippines.

Samuel wrote:It must also be noted that ASIC is a recognized accrediting body in UK and carries thorough site visits to each school before granting accreditation.... I totally disagree with Johann on his comments against ASIC on this.

Disagree all you like. Doesn't make me wrong. Known fact - ASIC "accredited" at least one degree mill --I could probably find others. ASIC was conceived to report to the UK Border Agency on British schools enrolling foreign students. Just to make sure there were "real" classes and there was no immigration-related dishonesty going on. It NEVER had any power to authorize degree-granting and its site still says it doesn't. It has morphed into an international enterprise of some sort, but it is NOT an "accreditor" in the sense the word is used in this forum. Some of those who buy ASIC stickers still like to pretend that ASIC empowers/authorizes degree-granting. It doesn't. ASIC itself says it doesn't!

Samuel wrote:I will conclude by asking everyone that posted in this forum, to be kind enough to delete his/her post(s) made against Charisma University and ASIC. I have also alerted Charisma University officials on this to take proper legal actions regarding this forum.

To quote one of my favourite literary characters -- Mr. Toad, from Wind in the Willows ..."SHAN'T!" :D :D

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:23 pm

BTW, Samuel, if you missed the discussion of the flagrant MILL "accredited" by ASIC, it's here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9008 Are we under threat to remove that, too? :D :D

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:36 pm

Here's a copy of the threat I received by PM from "Samuel":

Samuel wrote:Hi Johann,

Regarding your posts on viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9223&p=71389#p71389, kindly delete them because you have made untrue comments against Charisma University and ASIC. I responded to this and you can go through to my post to understand more about Charisma University.

I work with Charisma University Legal Dept and will keep track of this forum to ensure it is gone. My dept is also ready to take any available legal actions to anyone that has contributed to this forum against Charisma University and ASIC.

Communication will be made to degreediscussion.com administrators to assist our legal dept in finding out who posted these comments against Charisma University and ASIC.

You are required to delete your posts within 24HRS.

Thank you.

Samuel Gonzalez
Associate, Legal Dept
Charisma University

He says he's an associate in the Legal Dept. Oooh, me scared!! :D :D

Johann
johann

Postby levicoff » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:25 pm

johann wrote:[Samuel] says he's an associate in the Legal Dept. Oooh, me scared!! :D :D

Congratulations, Johann! You have, after all these years, become one of the select few that has received a lawsuit threat for calling a mill a mill.

And Charisma is, indeed, a mill. A sleazy, scuzzy, slimy sham of a so-called school. (I love alliteration.)

As for Samuel, he's obviously a fraud, a joke, a con artist, a rip-off, and an overall putz. (He can look that one up for himself.)

So let him rant, let him rave, let him give you a little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down his pants.

Oh, did I mention that Charisma is a degree mill?

(Bring it on, Samuel. We just love the entertainment provided by pathetic twits like you.) I laugh at you. :lol:

In fact, I laugh at you again. And again. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
levicoff

Postby johann » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:47 pm

Thanks for your kind acknowledgement, Dr. Levicoff. Good to hear from you. Your post is is truly appreciated. :)
"a little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down his pants.."
Written by David Lloyd, for the "Death of Chuckles the Clown" episode, Mary Tyler Moore show, right? Great writer! You always have such immaculate taste!

Cheers! :)

Johann
johann

Next

Return to General Discussions