Received from Akamai

General discussions concerning institutions and degree programs.

Received from Akamai

Postby johann » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:17 pm

Hi

Received this PM recently on another board from Dr. Douglass Capogrossi, Pres. of Akamai University. I put it in the "general" section due to its contents. If anyone thinks it should be moved - go ahead.

Solely for your info, members - Don't take it as a "plug" by me or the reverse. Just news...

Johann

Johann,

As promised, I am writing to provide an update regarding the international accreditation status of Akamai University. If you have questions or concerns, please do not hestitate to contact me directly.

Update on Akamai University Accreditation

I wanted to update you regarding Akamai University accreditation status.

Akamai University has attainsed Full Accreditation with IDEAL
Akamai University attained full accreditation with International Distance Education Accreditation League (IDEAL) on 18 March 2011, following the onsite survey accreditation visit in January and required follow-up reviews by the National Network of Quality Assurance Agencies in March. Akamai undertook full accreditation with IDEAL, because of its leadership in quality assurance among cross-border institutions of higher learning, the international composition of its membership, the strength and meaningfulness of its review criteria, and the superior experience of its accrediting teams. Akamai University is a full member of the IDEAL association and is in dialogue and cooperation with its member institutions worldwide.

A copy of our accreditation certificate is posted online at: http://www.akamaiuniversity.us/pdf/A...ertificate.pdf

IDEAL is a Member of NNQAA-Philippines
IDEAL is a full member of the National Network of Quality Assurance Agencies (NNQAA), Philippines. NNQAA is one of two national quality assurance networks in the Philippines, recognized by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED). IDEAL holds three seats on the Board of Trustees of NNQAA. To validate IDEAL membership with NNQAA and its CHED recognition, please make contact with the NNQAA Executive Director:

Dr. Manuel Corpus, Executive Director
National Network of Quality Assurance Agencies
Suite 812 Future Point Plaza 1, 112 Panay Avenue,
South Triangle 1103 Quezon City, Philippines
Tel: 63 928 5013386
manuel.corpus@aaccupqa.org.ph

IDEAL is a Member of Asia Pacific Quality Network
IDEAL is a full institutional member of the Asia Pacific Quality Network (APQN), an important agency recognized by UNESCO as a regional leader in the developing and serving the needs of quality assurance agencies in higher education. The mission of APQN is to enhance the quality of higher education in Asia and the Pacific Region, a region which contains over half the world's population, through strengthening the work of quality assurance agencies and extending the cooperation between them. APQN is powerful grouping of accrediting agencies in the Asia Pacific region. Among the member countries are Australia, New Zealand, China, South Korea, Japan, India, Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines and many other countries. APQN is an international recognized association of accrediting agencies.

IDEAL Listing on APQN Website
http://www.apqn.org/membership/members/

APQN Recognized by CHEA-USA
The Commission on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) in USA lists APQN on its website among other quality assurance networks of accrediting agencies in higher education.

APQN Listing with CHEA-USA
http://chea.org/intdb/display1.asp?ID=i2

In summary, Akamai University holds full accreditation with IDEAL, an officially authorized and recognized international accrediting agency headquartered in the Philippines, and holds full membership with NNQAA and APQN.

Regards,

Douglass Capogrossi, Ph.D.
President
Akamai University
johann

Re: Received from Akamai

Postby Hungry Ghost » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:29 pm

A search for "International Distance Education Accreditation League" turned up 80 hits.

It looks like as many as half of the hits involve Akamai in some way. And not surprisingly, it turns out that Mr. Capogrossi is IDEAL's chairman.

Here's IDEAL's website:

http://www.ideal.ph

And here's its list of members:

http://www.ideal.ph/node/4

There are several rather obscure Philippine state universities on the list. These state schools presumably arn't in any need of what Americans think of as institutional accreditation. And IDEAL isn't specialized professional accreditation. So what exactly is IDEAL accrediting? The quality of a university's DL provision and support?

Something called the 'Bangladesh Academy of Sciences' is there. Do they award degrees or offer DL? There's a 'Newport University' listed, this one supposedly located in Riga, Latvia. A couple of mysterious seemingly-proprietorial business schools. And 'Victorville International University', which has been the subject of some discussion here on Degreediscussion in the past, appears to be an applicant.
Hungry Ghost

Postby SteveFoerster » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:35 pm

I keep wanting to believe that Akamai is on the level, but this kind of BS really doesn't help.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby johann » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:46 pm

VERY good questions, HG - and yes, Steve - I want to believe it too. I'm aware of Dr. Capogrossi's background and accomplishments, prior to Akamai. I respect him as an educator.

It would be great if Dr. Capogrossi were to answer HG's questions in the forum. If he's not in the habit of visiting the forum, there is an e-mail address in the posting, if anyone wants to ask him directly. I'm sure a reply would interest a few long-time forum members.

I have no clue about most of the institutions you named, HG, but I'm actively looking them up, for my own edification. One I have heard of is Newport University. Newport itself has been renamed Janus University (still unaccredited) and can be found here. http://janusuniversity.edu/ Newport had a kind of "sister-school" with a similar-looking website, called Newport International - and I'm pretty sure that would be the Newport with the Latvian operation. That school can be found here. http://www.niu-edu.us/ Again, no US accreditation. Oops - apparently NIU's site is under construction.

A year or so ago, I had a couple of interesting emails from a gentleman who told me he had 25 years of DL-school operations experience. His plan was to acquire, change curriculum, re-name Newport International and seek accreditation. Haven't heard since, but maybe something is happening...or not.

Time will tell.

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:27 pm

I hope this helps answer one of your questions, HG.

The Bangladesh Academy of Sciences is here http://www.bas.org.bd/about.html -- and no, it doesn't confer degrees OR operate distance-ed programs. It does address scientific education, partly by awarding fellowships, medals and cash prizes for scientific accomplishments and scholars with potential.

The Academy's membership in IDEAL? Well, as the web-page says, it addresses issues in scientific education -- but apparently not to the extent of conferring degrees or offering its own academic programs. So - I guess the answer is "no" - the Academy neither derives nor needs "accreditation," as we usually define it, from IDEAL. Membership would seem to be the proper term - and that's the term used by IDEAL and the Academy, as far as I can see. :)

Johann
Last edited by johann on Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johann

Postby nosborne48 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:33 pm

Some years ago, there was an unaccredited but State Bar registered D/L law school in California called Newport. Any relation?
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby johann » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:42 pm

Yes, Nosborne. The Newport Law School you speak of was part of Newport University.
Here's a reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newport_Un ... California)

Newport's new incarnation (Janus) does not show any law programs, so I guess Newport Law is shuttered, now.

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:59 pm

This is old news -- but may have some relevance to a discussion of IDEAL. I think it's the Newport International (Latvia) branch-campus that's named as a "provisional applicant" by IDEAL. NIU, (the mother-uni) looks like it's had a checkered past. A few years ago, it was a Wyoming School with a Hayward, CA office. It sued the State of Wyoming over the mandatory accreditation law and lost. Newport International then moved everything to CA. The article said it "merged" with Newport (which is now Janus). If that's so, it would explain the similarity in websites I mentioned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newport_In ... University

Johann
johann

Postby nosborne48 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:21 am

Hm. I'm not a scholar of Ancient Rome but wasn't Janus the god of entrances and exits?

And therefore always depicted having two faces?? :twisted:
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby Hungry Ghost » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:51 pm

I just took a closer look at IDEAL's member listing. There are several categories of member:

Associate Members are active on the advisory level and may have had members on the governing board. Accreditation isn't mentioned. These include four little known Philippine state universities, the Bangladesh Academy of Sciences and something called EDS Business School in Malaysia.

Provisional Members are active on the advisory level and may have had members on the board, plus they have achieved "first level accreditation". One obscure Philippine State University is listed.

Full Members are active in IDEAL's administration and are fully accredited. These schools are Akamai University operating from Hilo Hawaii, and something called Euro College in Macedonia.

Applicants are Victorville International University ostensibly in California, Newport University in Riga Latvia and something called Ambasador College in Ghana.

So it appears that IDEAL only has two fully accredited members, neither of which is located in the Philippines and one of which is Akamai, whose owner happens to be IDEAL's chairman.

johann wrote:IDEAL is a full institutional member of the Asia Pacific Quality Network (APQN), an important agency recognized by UNESCO as a regional leader...

There doesn't appear to be any mention of IDEAL on that page. Assuming that it was listed in the past, it's apparently been subsequently removed.

The words "full institutional member" are kind of interesting. APQN has several levels of membership. 'Institutional' membership is open to any organization with an interest in accreditation. 'Full' member ship is open to any active educational accrediting organization that assures APQN that it meets several rather vaguely worded membership criteria. It isn't really clear how carefully APQN verifies the things that applicants tell them.

http://www.apqn.org/membership/criteria/

The Commission on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) in USA lists APQN on its website among other quality assurance networks of accrediting agencies in higher education.

CHEA does indeed seem to have some kind of page listing APQN. The page apparently comes from this listing, where APQN is listed under 'other organizations' concerned with accreditation:

http://chea.org/intdb/

APQN is certainly that, and it's probably worthy of CHEA's notice. Nothing wrong with that. The point is that CHEA isn't recognizing APQN in the same way that it recognizes American accreditors. There's no implication that all of APQN's members are fully-vetted accreditors in their own right. CHEA explicitly says that it isn't implying anything of the sort and visitors to their listing have to click on a loyalty-oath to that effect before they are allowed see the list. (CHEA is run by lawyers, I think.)

CHEA says:

This directory is provided as a public service without warranty of any kind. The directory does not constitute an endorsement by CHEA of the agencies or organizations contained here.
Hungry Ghost

Postby johann » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:01 pm

nosborne48 wrote:Hm. I'm not a scholar of Ancient Rome but wasn't Janus the god of entrances and exits? And therefore always depicted having two faces?? :twisted:

I'm no scholar of Rome either, Nosborne - though I did get (and enjoy) five years of Latin back around MCMLV to MCMLX. Yes, that was Janus -- and this is Janus U's take on him (from the website):

"... Janus, an ancient Roman god of beginnings and transitions allows the University to look fondly on our rich past while continuing to transition forward into a bright scholastic future. Janus University is dedicated to providing the best education to our students and we are thrilled to share your educational journey with all of you."

Small correction -- not that important, I guess:

"johann wrote:
IDEAL is a full institutional member of the Asia Pacific Quality Network (APQN), an important agency recognized by UNESCO as a regional leader..."

That was in my post, all right -- but it was as a quote from Dr. Capogrossi, President of Akamai. His words, not mine. Nobody's fault. :)

Other than that, we're all good. I think what HG wrote is very well-reasoned. (As usual.)

Johann
johann

Re: Get more Janus here, if you like. :)

Postby johann » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:26 pm

It's just like Nosborne said -- and just like Janus U. said as well. Wikipedia on Janus, including Sanskrit and other influences. I like it. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janus

Johann
johann

Postby ShotoJuku » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:46 pm

Hey Johann,

So where would you say Akamai "legitimately" stands?

johann wrote:Hi

Received this PM recently on another board from Dr. Douglass Capogrossi, Pres. of Akamai University. I put it in the "general" section due to its contents. If anyone thinks it should be moved - go ahead.

Solely for your info, members - Don't take it as a "plug" by me or the reverse. Just news...

Johann

Johann,

As promised, I am writing to provide an update regarding the international accreditation status of Akamai University. If you have questions or concerns, please do not hestitate to contact me directly.

Update on Akamai University Accreditation

I wanted to update you regarding Akamai University accreditation status.

Akamai University has attainsed Full Accreditation with IDEAL
Akamai University attained full accreditation with International Distance Education Accreditation League (IDEAL) on 18 March 2011, following the onsite survey accreditation visit in January and required follow-up reviews by the National Network of Quality Assurance Agencies in March. Akamai undertook full accreditation with IDEAL, because of its leadership in quality assurance among cross-border institutions of higher learning, the international composition of its membership, the strength and meaningfulness of its review criteria, and the superior experience of its accrediting teams. Akamai University is a full member of the IDEAL association and is in dialogue and cooperation with its member institutions worldwide.

A copy of our accreditation certificate is posted online at: http://www.akamaiuniversity.us/pdf/A...ertificate.pdf

IDEAL is a Member of NNQAA-Philippines
IDEAL is a full member of the National Network of Quality Assurance Agencies (NNQAA), Philippines. NNQAA is one of two national quality assurance networks in the Philippines, recognized by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED). IDEAL holds three seats on the Board of Trustees of NNQAA. To validate IDEAL membership with NNQAA and its CHED recognition, please make contact with the NNQAA Executive Director:

Dr. Manuel Corpus, Executive Director
National Network of Quality Assurance Agencies
Suite 812 Future Point Plaza 1, 112 Panay Avenue,
South Triangle 1103 Quezon City, Philippines
Tel: 63 928 5013386
manuel.corpus@aaccupqa.org.ph

IDEAL is a Member of Asia Pacific Quality Network
IDEAL is a full institutional member of the Asia Pacific Quality Network (APQN), an important agency recognized by UNESCO as a regional leader in the developing and serving the needs of quality assurance agencies in higher education. The mission of APQN is to enhance the quality of higher education in Asia and the Pacific Region, a region which contains over half the world's population, through strengthening the work of quality assurance agencies and extending the cooperation between them. APQN is powerful grouping of accrediting agencies in the Asia Pacific region. Among the member countries are Australia, New Zealand, China, South Korea, Japan, India, Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines and many other countries. APQN is an international recognized association of accrediting agencies.

In summary, Akamai University holds full accreditation with IDEAL, an officially authorized and recognized international accrediting agency headquartered in the Philippines, and holds full membership with NNQAA and APQN.

Regards,

Douglass Capogrossi, Ph.D.
President
Akamai University

He
ShotoJuku +
AS, BS, MS, MBA, Ed.D Underway
ShotoJuku

Postby johann » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:18 pm

Shoto Juku -

I have long felt that Akamai was "legitimate" - though unaccredited. If they want me to continue believing this, they should be more open and more careful!

(1) As I said, I've always had respect for Dr. Capogrossi, who holds 3 Cornell degrees, including his doctorate. I am aware of his accomplishments prior to Akamai. You can look him up.
(2) Akamai is one of the few Hawaii unaccredited schools that survived Mr. Jeff Brunton's "purge." I figure an "illegitimate" school would not get a license in that state - and by "illegitimate" I mean definitely dishonest -- and probably grossly substandard.
(3) I believe there is decent teaching and a good potential learning experience available at Akamai. Note to Akamai - DON'T prove me wrong!

That said,

(4) When a school claims accreditation, and the President neglects to mention he also heads the Accreditor - that's not a good thing, as I see it.
(5) It's of no value to US students at all. In fact, how could one even apply to a NACES evaluator? Akamai is, after all -- in the U.S.

Like Steve Foerster, I've always wanted to believe in Akamai. What's come out here (marketing smokescreen, as I see it) makes it difficult.

Johann
johann

Postby John Bear » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:44 am

Increasingly, I come to think that the Oregon approach is the one that makes sense: extremely simple to describe and implement. If a US-based school has specific permission to operate and to award degrees, granted by its state (or, in rare cases, by the Federal or tribal government), then it is legal in Oregon. Doesn't: isn't.
John Bear

Next

Return to General Discussions