APUS Accredited?

General discussions concerning institutions and degree programs.

APUS Accredited?

Postby Tireman4 » Sun May 21, 2006 5:54 pm

I just read this in the Student Lounge. Can not confirm.

Wally Boston, the president of APUS, announced at the commencement ceremony this morning that American Military University and its smaller sister, American Public University (both comprising the American Public University System), have received regional accreditation from the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association. :) :) :) :)

This is an extremely important achievement and one that APUS has been working on for a long time. Regional accreditation is the higest (best) accreditation that a university can have. I was represented APUS as faculty member when NCA visited the university several months ago and I have seen all of the work that the university has done to achieve this accreditation. For those of you who may not really understand this accreditation, the information below is from their website at http://www.ncahigherlearningcommission.org/:

"NCA, founded in 1895, is one of six regional institutional accreditors in the United States. Through its Commissions it accredits, and thereby grants membership to educational institutions in the North Central region: Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma, New Mexico, South Dakota, Wisconsin, West Virginia, and Wyoming."

NCA includes such universities as Ohio State University, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and basically every other major / minor university in the states listed above.

Congrats to APUS for gaining regional accreditation.
Tireman4

Postby Buckwheat Wildebeest » Sun May 21, 2006 10:29 pm

:D
Now if APU will jump through a few more hoops...
Gavin
Buckwheat Wildebeest

Postby aic712 » Mon May 22, 2006 1:42 pm

That's cool, if that's the case, they need to update their website as does NCA.

AMU/APUS seems like a really good school and has some very interesting programs. I hope that my company sets up some sort of agreement with them (as we have a huge military population) as I would like to earn a second master's in one of their defense/contracts related programs.
aic712

Postby Tireman4 » Mon May 22, 2006 3:12 pm

I posted a reply in the student lounge. I asked why APUS has not reflected this news on the home website and why has not NCA done the same? Maybe NCA is waiting until June 6. Not sure.
Tireman4

Postby Hungry Ghost » Mon May 22, 2006 4:24 pm

Tireman4 wrote:I posted a reply in the student lounge. I asked why APUS has not reflected this news on the home website and why has not NCA done the same? Maybe NCA is waiting until June 6. Not sure.
It was a weekend, after all.

Assuming that this news is accurate, I expect it to go up on APUS' website pretty quickly. Today, maybe. But it might take a few days or a week for it to appear on the NCA/HLC website.

That's how it happened when WASC accredited U.West. The accreditation decision had immediate effect from the day the commission voted. The news appeared on the university site within a couple of days, and on the accreditor's listings a little later, when they got around to updating all the results of the meeting, which addressed other schools as well.

I suspect that this news is probably accurate. I've always liked AMU, though I hate their APUS marketing front. But whatever, it's seemed like a credible accreditable effort. I don't know the NCA/HLC meeting schedule, but seeing as how APUS hosted a site visit in February, a decision was probably on the meeting agenda. So it's due.
Hungry Ghost

PhD Program in History at APUS

Postby Tireman4 » Mon May 22, 2006 6:02 pm

This is for Buckwheat Wildebeast (Gavin).

This is in response to an email I sent to the provost.

I congratulated him on the accreditation and asked him when the timeline was for the PhD in history.

His response:

We will apply in the winter of 06
Tireman4

Postby Hungry Ghost » Mon May 22, 2006 6:48 pm

I just looked at the NCA/HLC's calendar and I'm slightly confused (my normal condition).

I'm not sure how this accreditor operates, but to my layman's eye the calendar doesn't look consistent with an accreditation decision having been made in the last few days.

It's conceivable that one of the committees decided informally among themselves that they intend to approve APUS (and communicated that to APUS), but I'm guessing that the decision won't be effective until it's voted on at a formal scheduled meeting.

Of course, the obvious solution to all this guessing is to phone the NCA/HLC and ask them what's up with APUS. I'll leave that task to the APUS students among us.

2006 Board of Trustees Meetings:
February 27,28
June 5,6
November 2,3

2006 IAC Meetings:
February 6
April 24
June 26
August 28
October 16
December 4

2006 IAC Annual Meeting: September 17,18

2006 Review Committee Meetings:
January 23
May 8
September 25
Hungry Ghost

Postby Tireman4 » Mon May 22, 2006 6:50 pm

I will try if I have time.
Tireman4

Postby Charles » Mon May 22, 2006 8:48 pm

The NCAHLC Website is updated. The American Public University System is regionally accredited.

:)
Charles
Charles

Postby Hungry Ghost » Mon May 22, 2006 9:45 pm

Charles wrote:The NCAHLC Website is updated. The American Public University System is regionally accredited.

:)
They just changed it. This morning it still said 'candidate'.

Here's the new listing:

http://www.ncahlc.org/index.php?option= ... nstid=2853

Way to go APUS/AMU! Congratulations to its students. This is good news for the DL world and particularly for our military learners.
Hungry Ghost

Postby Buckwheat Wildebeest » Mon May 22, 2006 11:33 pm

Tireman,
That is great! I indeed hope they can carry it through!
It was some time ago,maybe a few years when Ted listed the requirment were for a history class. The reading list itself was no picnic (much less the other requirments). At the time I was bewildered why such school wasn't already RA!
They were very serious about the curriculum; hats off to them!
Gavin
Buckwheat Wildebeest

Postby Tireman4 » Tue May 23, 2006 12:00 am

I am working hard for you buddy. :)
Tireman4

Postby Hungry Ghost » Tue May 23, 2006 7:56 pm

Hungry Ghost wrote:They just changed it. This morning it still said 'candidate'.

Here's the new listing:

http://www.ncahlc.org/index.php?option= ... nstid=2853
As of 5-23, 12:50 PDT, the NCA/HLC listing is once again saying 'candidate'.
Hungry Ghost

Postby Tireman4 » Tue May 23, 2006 8:28 pm

According to those in the Student Lounge, there are two listings for American Public University System. One of them has accredited, the other states candidate. Interesting.
Tireman4

American Public University System Earns Regional...

Postby Gus Sainz » Wed May 24, 2006 3:59 am

"American Public University System, a distance learning institution that includes American Military University (AMU) and American Public University (APU), has earned regional accreditation through the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA).

The University System (www.apus.edu) is one of the few institutions that is both regionally and nationally accredited by federally recognized accrediting agencies. It has been nationally accredited since 1995 by the Distance Education and Training Council."

American Public University System Earns Regional Accreditation
Distance Learning Institution Among Nation's Largest Providers of Higher Education to U.S. Military
Gus Sainz
DegreeDiscussion.com
Gus Sainz
Administrator

Next

Return to General Discussions