Singapore Closes College Offering Fake Australian Degree

General discussions concerning institutions and degree programs.

Postby Gus Sainz » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:48 pm

Singapore on Tuesday closed down a local private college after it was found to be offering a fake Australian business degree.

The Education Ministry said it cancelled the registration of Brookes Business School from today after investigations by the secretariat of the pro-tem Council for Private Education found the college had contravened the Education Act.

In a statement, the ministry said the secretariat was now working with various agencies and the private education industry players to put in place measures to help the affected students to complete their studies.

It was reported last month that hundreds of students had signed-on for a one-year course for the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) Bachelor of Business degree.

The students said that they paid between $12,000 and $18,000 for the course, believing the programme was bona fide.

RMIT then had revealed it was alerted about the college misrepresenting the institute on its website in April 2007 and took immediate legal action against Brookes and also informed the Singaporean authorities about the misrepresentation.

RMIT demanded and obtained a written undertaking from Brookes in which the school agreed to remove all references to RMIT on its website and documentation then.

But last month, RMIT discovered that Brookes breached the legal undertakings by continuing to deliver and misrepresent RMIT through their college in Singapore, and following that the Education Ministry sprang into action.

Gus Sainz
DegreeDiscussion.com
Gus Sainz
Administrator

Re: Singapore Closes College Offering Fake Australian Degree

Postby Hungry Ghost » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:30 pm

Good for Singapore.

I guess that most people aren't reckless and cheeky enough to pose as a university's remote site and then falsely award that university's degrees. Universities always take a dim view of that.

It's safer to invent your own fake university. That way you can be pretty sure that you won't be hearing from its lawyers.
Hungry Ghost

Re: Singapore Closes College Offering Fake Australian Degree

Postby olga » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:25 pm

I need help. Can someone tell me how to obtain a job teaching online? I have a Masters in Business Admin.
I appreciate any advice or direction of any kind. Thanks, Olga
olga

Return to General Discussions