Asia Pacific International University

General discussions concerning institutions and degree programs.

Asia Pacific International University

Postby rfclift » Sat May 16, 2009 1:27 am

Anyone have any info on Asia Pacific International University?

I found some info claiming that it is ""A multi-national educational consortium with offices in: Vancouver, Canada; San Francisco, USA; Auckland, New Zealand; Macau and Hong Kong" , but I have no record of it ever existing in Vancouver and I can't find any info about it at the California Bureau of Post-Secondary Education website.

I found a news article about some controversy regarding APIU in New Zealand (http://wairarapa.co.nz/times-age/news2003/030206c.html)

The head of this supposed institution is apparently a fellow named Suborno Bose. When I search on him I come up with some odd and suspicious hits.

Any help would be appreciated.
rfclift

Re: Asia Pacific International University

Postby Bill Huffman » Sat May 16, 2009 4:40 am

Bears' Guide Says that the place is/was unaccredited. It also says that it used to be in Vancouver, Canada under a slightly different name.

http://books.google.com/books?id=k67XC_ ... t&resnum=8

Nothing in a Google search that would indicate that there's anything academic going on at this place.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?as_q= ... &hl=en&lr=

No website that I could find. I would have to say it is bogus.
Bill Huffman

Postby rfclift » Sat May 16, 2009 5:15 am

Thanks Bill. That helps a great deal.

Cheers!

Rob
rfclift

Postby Reynru » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:30 am

Asia Pacific International University was accredited with the New Zealand Qualifications Authority as a degree granting Institution until 2002. The name for degree granting purposes was Asia Pacific International Institute and it did have numerous campuses around the world, including in Vancouver, BC, Canada. It failed financially, but it was real.
Reynru

Postby Enjoying my MBA » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:16 pm

I received my MBA from the Asia Pacific International University - Graduate School of Management. My intake was in 1992, Class E with, if I remember correctly, about 50 others. Twenty-three of us graduated between the fall of 1994 and 1995. My classmates included many college instructors from across BC and Alberta that required MBAs to satisfy the move of those colleges to degree-granting status. There were also several lawyers, government managers and like myself, business people. We all researched it and many, like myself, attended two intake info sessions prior to enrolling. Its' history, calibre of instructors, schedules and reasonable costs appealed to us. At one time, it had an enrollment of 8500 students between Asia, Canada, USA, Mexico and NZ campuses. The Vancouver campus was in the beautiful and historical Marine Building on Burrard.

It was one of the early providers of the EMBA and had some petty impressive profs from notable universities around the world. Each class attended 16 hrs one weekend each month and the profs were flown in for the weekend. The university was created and initially funded by a chinese business man who, without being able to take formal education, became very successful and wealthy. His vision was to provide affordable education opportunities to pacific rim countries focusing on pacific rim trade and commerce. aside from the degree programs, they also offered many other education programs including ESL to support the pacific rim vision. Although he funded it, it still was required to become sustainable. I am very regretful that I didn't stay involved with the Alumni as I believe that was a factor in it's demise. Many of us have remained friends and keep in touch but unfortunately, we didn't continue to give back to ensure and protect the value of our degrees and what we each achieved.

The president was a notable career academic, having held numerous Dean, vice- and Chancellor positions. Our macroeconomics instructor been the Canadian Deputy Minister of Finance for many years. Microeconomics was taught by the author of one of the most widely used microeconomics text books in N America. International Trade was taught by a retired Canadian Trade Ambassador to 12 countries over his career. The accounting instructor was Dean of Accounting for UVic and and I believe, Chair of the BC Chartered Accountants. Cross-Cultural Psychology was taught by an acknowledged expert and professor from NZ. The HR prof was from Dalhousie U and the Marketing prof from UCLA, Berkley.

My spouse has her MBA from Harvard and interestingly, aside from the ivy league status and alumni connections, there is some, I think, important knowledge that I studied that she didnt. Granted, my studies dealt almost entirely on doing business in the pacific rim. we did study the Pacific/Asia and Atlantic/Europe differences in commerce and trade.

Although it no longer exist, the knowledge I gained has assisted me greatly over the years and have made some great acquaintances.
I understand that a component of the organization still exists to provide ESL and other entry level non-accredited education classes.
Enjoying my MBA

Postby nhowards » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:59 pm

Is this forum dead ? It seem(ed) like a good place :(
nhowards

Postby davidbilly » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:11 am

nhowards wrote:Is this forum dead ? It seem(ed) like a good place :(

yes, you are right. This is a very good place indeed. i Totally agreed
davidbilly

Postby mattchand » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:13 pm

nhowards wrote:Is this forum dead ? It seem(ed) like a good place :(

It was wonderful for several years. It's been pretty dead for awhile, though. Most of those who were active seem to have migrated back to the degreeinfo.com boards, which was where most of us began in the first place. Long story.
mattchand

Return to General Discussions