In Memoriam Uncle Janko

General discussions concerning institutions and degree programs.

Re: In Memoriam Uncle Janko

Postby nkypastor » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:44 pm

This is very disturbing news. I was just checking in this morning when I saw this. Uncle Janko was always willing to state what he believed plainly--and whether you agreed with him or not--you respected him for it. My heart is heavy, and my prayers go out to his family, his church, and his friends.
nkypastor

Postby cehi » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:35 pm

I am saddened to hear of Uncle Janko's fatal accident. I will miss his contributions on this board. I express my condolences to his family.
Charles
cehi

Postby PatsFan » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:53 pm

I am also saddened to hear about the death of Uncle Janko (Dr. Weaver-Hudson). He brought a great deal to this board with his intellect and wit--and especially his commitment to quality distance education.

Tom
BA, Nyack College
MAR, Eastern Nazarene College
MSW, University of Connecticut
D.Min, Ashland Theological Seminary
PatsFan

Postby mattchand » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:41 am

Dave G wrote:Count me in! While I would be happy to simply buy a copy from UMI, I think more could be done. My understanding is that small but respectable academic publishers like Brill, Baker Academic, and Kregel all welcome directly submitted dissertations/theses for publication. (Certainly O.U.P. and C.U.P. would be great, but putting all the eggs in those baskets might not be wise.) I think the first step would be asking the permission of JWH’s parents, then Dr. Song, who presumably has the electronic copy with correct fonts, etc.

I'm not sure what the policy is at UniZul, but I seem to recall that at least some of the South African institutions retained the copyright on dissertations completed under their auspices. I would imagine that Dr. Grover would be able to answer that question in short order.

I believe that in the US, at least, many dissertations are published in their original format by ProQuest, which sells them to university libraries. It might be worth looking at them. At the same time, for it to be published as a proper book would likely entail the kind of modifications to which Pastor James referred.

Peace,

Matt
mattchand

Janko for Saint!

Postby levicoff » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:49 am

I am pleased to announce that I have just dispatched a letter to Rome, petitioning that our departed friend be placed on the fast track for sainthood. After all, he was so perfect that the fact that he was a Lutheran should pose no barrier to his canonization. And just think, if he makes it at the same time as the late Pope John Paul II, we can have a double-John celebration. :lol:

And you can help - just start a thread attributing some miracles to Unk. :mrgreen:

Oh, lighten up, people! It's satire. Even Janko must be blushing with all the fawning going on here. Hell, I miss him as much as anyone, but you'd think, if his dissertation were published, that Cicero would suddenly become a fad bigger than Michael Jackson. I envision that John would be laughing at the turn of this thread - he might even have a laugh or two at the treatment he received over the past week (not unexpectedly) over at DLT. Now, I'm hardly thinking of defecting to DLT (to become their third actual member, after Dennis Ruhl, who appears to be an actual person, and the guy that started DLT and posts under 47,182 different names), but it's time to stop the gushing accolades, the lauding of an esoteric dissertation, and keep our fond memories of John. Besides, dissertations are meant to be esoteric. And ultimately forgotten. Well, except for Women Who Run With the Wolves, the Union dissertaion of Clarissa Pinkola Estes that went on to become a New York Times bestseller. I'm sure that John's dissertation is quite excellent, but it ain't no Women Who Run With the Wolves.
levicoff

Book Publishing Talk

Postby winter sky » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:47 am

I just came home and have read latest several entries on this thread. Let me go back and reread them. I do suggest that a thread devoted to possible publication of John's dissertation be started if this discussion continues. Academic/scholarly manuscripts with a religious focus were and are what I have worked (very obscurely) with in book publishing for many years. Let me think for a while. Just quickly, Matt, I had the same idea, that some South African institutions retained the dissertation copyright. Dr. Bear, it would certainly possible for work like this to be published by one of the newer print-on-demand services. Dave G. and everyone else who suggested it, some houses like those mentioned do take some manuscripts like this, although not as many as they did even a few years ago. (Even for these houses, there is sometimes an author contribution toward printing and production expenses.) I would think the permission rests with John's parents, unless it rests with James K. (James, I certainly do recognize your name. I wondered if you were the new registrant listed below.) Steve, thank you for a much-needed perspective! Actually I think John would be immensely flattered and would very much enjoy reading all this.
winter sky

Re: Janko for Saint!

Postby some gobbledygook » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:52 pm

levicoff wrote:Cicero would suddenly become a fad bigger than Michael Jackson.

You mean Cicero isn't cooler than Michael Jackson now? :shock: I guess when the rubber meets the road, moonwalking is still where it's at.
some gobbledygook

Re: Janko for Saint!

Postby Stanislav » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:54 pm

levicoff wrote: Besides, dissertations are meant to be esoteric. And ultimately forgotten. Well, except for Women Who Run With the Wolves, the Union dissertaion of Clarissa Pinkola Estes that went on to become a New York Times bestseller.

I was under impression that humanities dissertations are actually meant, for career academis types, (draft of) their "first book".
Stanislav

Re: Book Publishing Talk

Postby James K » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:25 am

winter sky wrote:I would think the permission rests with John's parents, unless it rests with James K. (James, I certainly do recognize your name. I wondered if you were the new registrant listed below.) Steve, thank you for a much-needed perspective! Actually I think John would be immensely flattered and would very much enjoy reading all this.

I may have been a good friend of John's, but I certainly have no copyright claims on the dissertation, any more than any other friend of his on this board. I know nothing about international copyright law and only enough about domestic copyright law to be dangerous.
James K

Postby Bill » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:43 am

I don't believe UZ has any rights to my dissertation except that copies went to Committe members and to the UZ library.

SATS now publishes books... Prof Song was Unk's UZ promoter...Prof Song is at SATS...might that be a source?
Bill Grover
Faculty, http://www.satsonline.org
BA,(Bible),ThB -1966, SCTS
MA (Religion)- 1968, PL Naz Uni
Tea Creds USD (Lang Arts)-1969/OSU (Spec Ed)1978
MDiv (Equiv)-1992 and ThM (Biblical Studies)-1994, Western Seminary
D.Th. (Theology)-2005 Unizul
Bill

Postby Jack » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:50 pm

It is common, at South African universities, to require grad students to publish one or more articles in scholarly journals based upon their grad research. Often this is done at the conclusion of the literature review. Below I've pasted in a short statement from the Unizul website that might help us to understand why the university might retain some sort of copyright (I don't know anything about South African copyright laws) on a students dissertation/thesis. Please remember that in the South African system one writes a Masters Dissertation and a Doctoral Thesis. It's the opposite of the wording used in the USA. At the University of the Free State Doctoral students are required to sign an agreement, as part of the enrollment process, that the university retains some copyright of the final doctoral thesis. I think this just allows them to use parts of it for various research/advertising purposes. I do not believe it restricts the author from publishing the work.

"Publication of dissertation

(1) If, on the date of presentation, a portion of the dissertation submitted has not been published, or is not being published in a manner satisfactory to the Council, the Council shall have the right to reproduce the work in whole or in part for purposes of research.
(2) The Council may waive this right on condition that the candidate makes arrangements for publication of the work in a manner which is to the Council's satisfaction. "

http://www.unizulu.ac.za/pos_grad.php
Jack

Postby plcscott » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:33 pm

Wow, shocking news. I have not been around any forums in a long time because I have been so busy. This is sad. Unk was a unique person. My condolences to the family and all his friends.
plcscott

Postby Tired Theologian » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:10 am

I'm very saddened to hear about this. Though I've not posted much, Uncle always left an impression on me. He will be missed.
Tired Theologian

Postby David » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:34 pm

Oh my, this is a disappointment. I wonder if his tag line became an epitaph?
"Doing good, doing well, raising hope and raising hell."
David

Postby mdoneil » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:30 am

I have to admit that I frequent the board much less frequently due to the current day to day chaos of my life, and since I am just finishe up a DL program and not yet ready to look for another.

However sad it is for us here on DD, what a wonderful joy it must be for Unk now that he has gone to study with God. Though we may mourn, we must also rejoice in that Uncle Janko has been born into eternal life.

When the dissertation is published count me in for a copy for each public univeristy in Florida. As a librarian I enjoy burdening them with original cataloging.
LIbrarian, RN, holder of 3 completely unrelated Masters Degrees, working on a 4th.
mdoneil

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions