In Memoriam Uncle Janko

General discussions concerning institutions and degree programs.

Re: Uncle Janko killed in auto accident

Postby Mankind » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:52 am

Good bye Rev.. My prayers are with you and your family.
Miguel E. Stefan
Keiser University, Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting (In progress)
Tulane University, Master Certificate of Business Management
University of Dayton, Bachelor of Business Administration in Marketing
Mankind

Postby pschuettke » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:51 pm

MEMORIAL SERVICE FOR PASTOR JOHN WEAVER-HUDSON (Uncle Janko)
Monday, February 2, 2009 at 1pm
Hope Evangelical Lutheran Church, 205 Bennett Ave, Hartford, MI 49057
Ph: 269-621-3407
Further information: Calvin Funeral Home, 269-621-4101
I understand John left his body to science.
Pastor John Weaver-Hudson was our church vicar and friend during the time he attended Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary in Mequon, Wisconsin in 2003. He was a very special, unforgettable man who left a positive impact on many lives. I'm glad he enjoyed being a part of this website and all the friends he made on DegreeDiscussion.
Patricia Schuettke
Salem Ev Lutheran Church
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
pschuettke

Postby Bill » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:09 pm

Prof Arthur Song, who supervised Unk's Unizul DTh. thesis, in an email today ,informed me that John's dissertation was among the best he had ever supervised. I recall reading some skeptics either here or more likely at DLT" who asserted that Janko knew nothing about distance education. What had he accomplished after all? I hope their mouths are stuffed with flea infested sand for their crass devaluation of this fine soul. Unk was rarely wrong, in my opinion, certainly less often than I. His passing has left a vacuum on this board which hopefully will be filled by others as true as he.
Bill Grover
Faculty, http://www.satsonline.org
BA,(Bible),ThB -1966, SCTS
MA (Religion)- 1968, PL Naz Uni
Tea Creds USD (Lang Arts)-1969/OSU (Spec Ed)1978
MDiv (Equiv)-1992 and ThM (Biblical Studies)-1994, Western Seminary
D.Th. (Theology)-2005 Unizul
Bill

JWH

Postby winter sky » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:17 pm

I apologize if this is a duplicate post. I've only had two hours' sleep. A minor correction to Patricia Schuettke's post, above. John's mother told me she chose cremation. I didn't think 2003 was the year of John's attendance at WLS, but I could be incorrect. I'm glad that Patricia Schuettke's congregation had the opportunity to know John.
winter sky

Young Janko

Postby Jonathan Whatley » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:18 pm

From The Seattle Times, Sunday, January 6, 1991:
WCTU Makes Gains On Strength Of New Image

By Eileen Ogintz
Chicago Tribune

CHICAGO - John Weaver-Hudson is at least 20 years younger than almost everyone else at the Christmas party, but that doesn't seem to faze him. Nor do the alcohol-free liquid refreshments.

Weaver-Hudson, clearly happy to be here, lifts his wine glass of cranberry-apple juice in a holiday toast. Like other guests, the 32-year-old minister is a proud member of the National Woman's Christian Temperance Union.

That's right. The WCTU - that formerly powerful army of determined gray-haired ladies known for their advocacy of total abstinence from liquor and for spearheading the Prohibition movement - is still around, and working hard to regain the momentum it once enjoyed.

And there are signs that, as it pushes a new agenda, it is beginning to succeed. At the top of its list of interests is keeping children away from drugs and alcohol, and in the process of pursuing that goal, it is replenishing its aging ranks with a promising number of energetic new members like Weaver-Hudson. It is computerizing its records and even has retained a public-relations adviser. [...]

``To be concerned about alcohol and drug abuse is not old hat,'' adds Weaver-Hudson, who had no trouble signing the group's more than 100-year-old pledge to abstain from alcohol. He's also not the least bit concerned, he says, that as a male member of the women's organization he is not allowed to vote or hold office. ``It's not an ego threat,'' he says smiling.

``This (group) isn't a museum piece,'' he says. ``It's an active, relevant group. . . . It's a help that an organization exists that says you have the right to think for yourself (about whether to drink or not). I certainly hope WCTU can make a difference.''

WCTU Makes Gains On Strength Of New Image (Eileen Ogintz, The Chicago Tribune via The Seattle Times, Sunday, January 6, 1991)
Jonathan Whatley

Postby some gobbledygook » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:22 pm

Ms. Schuettke’s comments about John’s positive impact probably apply to a great many more lives that most would imagine. He was always very encouraging regarding my interest in the classics, and recommended many books over the last 6-7 years. Most academic departments see church history/theology and classics as rivals and aren’t interested in the overlap between the two subjects. I can’t tell you how much it meant that John, who loved both subjects, thought my particular research interest was worthwhile, and had asked for a copy of the final product. John’s cogent critiques of much of modern Christendom contributed to my theological understanding and growth as well. His influence was profound because it was not born of jealousy or denominational pride, but of a passion for truth. I liked and respected him and now regret not telling him that directly – it always seems there’s time for that sort of thing.

While I’m on the topic of how much someone you never meet can mean to you, I’d like to add that I have been very blessed by others here. There are some fine people here who have given greatly of themselves in a variety of ways: by helping others find educational options, encouraging others to think through the process, putting their reputations on the line by admitting and trying to set right their past mistakes, and putting themselves at risk by fighting fraud and deceit. I don’t want to put off saying that I appreciate knowing you all in the rich and diverse community here.

I trust that JWH is with his Redeemer, and giving Philip Melancthon an absolute earful.
some gobbledygook

Postby some gobbledygook » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:25 pm

Bill, do you know if his thesis is going to be published?

Bill wrote:Prof Arthur Song, who supervised Unk's Unizul DTh. thesis, in an email today ,informed me that John's dissertation was among the best he had ever supervised. I recall reading some skeptics either here or more likely at DLT who asserted that Janko knew nothing about distance education. What had he accomplished after all? I hope their mouths are stuffed with flea infested sand for their crass devaluation of this fine soul. Unk was rarely wrong, in my opinion, certainly less often than I. His passing has left a vacuum on this board which hopefully will be filled by others as true as he.
some gobbledygook

Postby calebwilds » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:06 pm

Does anyone have a picture of John?
calebwilds

Postby pschuettke » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:24 pm

Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary in Mequon, WI may have a graduation photo.
pschuettke

JWH photo

Postby winter sky » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:40 pm

Caleb, that's a good question. I was going to suggest that WELS might have one, but Ms. Scheuttke replied first. I do have one, but I think I'll just hold onto it. In fairness to J., I don't think he anticipated this photo circling the globe on the Internet. There might be a larger one that would be better. If I can turn one up (it might take a little while), I'll say so. If anyone has access to the Oberlin yearbook (1979, I think) or the Cranbrook school yearbook (1975), there would be old photos in there.
winter sky

Postby Bill » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:57 pm

Dave G wrote:Bill, do you know if his thesis is going to be published?

Bill wrote:Prof Arthur Song, who supervised Unk's Unizul DTh. thesis, in an email today ,informed me that John's dissertation was among the best he had ever supervised. I recall reading some skeptics either here or more likely at "DLT" who asserted that Janko knew nothing about distance education. What had he accomplished after all? I hope their mouths are stuffed with flea infested sand for their crass devaluation of this fine soul. Unk was rarely wrong, in my opinion, certainly less often than I. His passing has left a vacuum on this board which hopefully will be filled by others as true as he.

---------

Hi Dave

I doubt it.

Like you, Unk contributed to my learning. Once I expressed on DI that I was confused about how my UZ promoter, ALM Pitchers, God bless him, was handling me. Unk gave me good counsel. He also recommended the Lutheran reformer, Chemnitz, as a good read on incarnational Christology.
Bill Grover
Faculty, http://www.satsonline.org
BA,(Bible),ThB -1966, SCTS
MA (Religion)- 1968, PL Naz Uni
Tea Creds USD (Lang Arts)-1969/OSU (Spec Ed)1978
MDiv (Equiv)-1992 and ThM (Biblical Studies)-1994, Western Seminary
D.Th. (Theology)-2005 Unizul
Bill

Postby Siniestro » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:26 pm

By chance I came here a few minutes after Jimmy posted the terrible news. Since then, I haven’t been able to cope with this; I had him in my mind the entire day, just hoping this is a bad dream that will soon go away.

I agree with most of the comments here. I admired his erudition, his bonhomie, and his courage. I just read a message he sent me a while ago, and it breaks my heart to think we won’t be able to enjoy his friendship, his presence in this board, his mastery of the English language, his controversies, his ingenuity, his unusual sense of humor, his stubborness.

I have great memories of him, I am absolutely happy he finished his PhD (in a message from many months ago he told me he had been that night working on it until 4 AM), and although I never met him personally besides a small number of PMs through the years, I feel very, very saddened about his passing.

I think he was a true gentleman. My condolences to his relatives and friends.
Siniestro

Herald-Palladium Obituary

Postby Jonathan Whatley » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:21 pm

The Herald-Palladium wrote:John Weaver-Hudson

HARTFORD - John Weaver-Hudson was born on Aug. 10, 1958, in Detroit to Louis Hudson and his wife, Kathleen (nee Weaver). He was adopted into the family of God by the washing of holy baptism on Dec. 10, 1969.

John was an avid student all of his life. He attended elementary and secondary schools in Oak Park and Birmingham. He received a B.A. in German and Religion from Oberlin College in 1979, an M. Div. from the seminary program at Earlham School of Religion in Richmond, Ind., in 1984, an M.A. in classical languages from Loyola University in 1996 and a Doctor of Theology Degree from the University of Zululand in South Africa in 2008.

After his graduation from the seminary in 1984, he served as Pastor at UCC Congregational and Baptist churches in Ohio and Illinois. For confessional reasons, he applied for and was accepted by colloquy into the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod in 2001. As part of the colloquy process, he attended a semester at Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary in Mequon, Wis. and also served as vicar/pastoral assistant at Salem Evangelical Lutheran Church in Milwaukee, Wis., and at St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church in Livonia. In 2002, the Lord called him to serve as pastor of Hope Evangelical Lutheran Church of Hartford, where he served faithfully for the rest of his days.

On Tuesday, Jan. 27, 2009, the Lord in his wisdom and love took the soul of Pastor Weaver-Hudson from this vale of tears to himself in heaven. He is survived by his parents. His time on earth was 50 years, 5 months and 17 days.

The Christian funeral service to honor Pastor Weaver-Hudson's life will take place at 1 p.m. Monday, Feb. 2, at the Hope Evangelical Lutheran Church, 205 Bennett Avenue, Hartford. Pastor Paul S. Naumann will serve as officiant. His remains will be interred at Grandlawn Cemetery in Detroit, where they wait for the sure and certain resurrection to eternal life in Christ.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations in John's name be made to the Hope Evangelical Lutheran Church. The family has entrusted the Calvin Funeral Home, Hartford, with handling the arrangements.

John Weaver-Hudson (The Herald-Palladium, Friday, January 30, 2009)
Jonathan Whatley

Postby TheoloM » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:46 pm

Jonathan,

Thanks for posting this information about "Unk".

TheoloM
TheoloM

Re: Herald-Palladium Obituary

Postby Poimen » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:19 pm

The Herald-Palladium wrote:John Weaver-Hudson...His remains will be interred at Grandlawn Cemetery in Detroit, where they wait for the sure and certain resurrection to eternal life in Christ. The Herald-Palladium, Friday, January 30, 2009)

The sure and certain resurrection to eternal life in Christ. To God be the glory!
Poimen
Poimen

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions