In Memoriam Uncle Janko

General discussions concerning institutions and degree programs.

Re: Uncle Janko killed in auto accident

Postby Jack » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:05 pm

I am very sad that Janko is gone from us. He was a friend to me and many others on this board and we all were better for his involvement here.
Jack

Postby calebwilds » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:06 pm

Janko, may you rest in the arms of your Lord and Savior... what a loss to this world. Blessings on his family.
calebwilds

Postby Bill Huffman » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:16 pm

I'm saddened. It's interesting how one can become so attached to others in a forum such as this. It's a sad day for me, for this community, for many other communities, and of course for his family and friends.
Bill Huffman

Postby Bill » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:02 am

I am saddened that one who was benefactor to me and the cause of distance education is gone.
Bill Grover
Faculty, http://www.satsonline.org
BA,(Bible),ThB -1966, SCTS
MA (Religion)- 1968, PL Naz Uni
Tea Creds USD (Lang Arts)-1969/OSU (Spec Ed)1978
MDiv (Equiv)-1992 and ThM (Biblical Studies)-1994, Western Seminary
D.Th. (Theology)-2005 Unizul
Bill

Postby japhy4529 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:26 am

This is very sad indeed. It is nice to hear that he was able to complete his doctorate before passing on. My condolences to his family and friends.

Tom
japhy4529

Postby levicoff » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:32 am

The following comment by Chip White appeared on DI today. I won't editorialize about the DI/DD issue, as that would be inappropriate at this time. But Chip's reflection shows class and is worth reading . . .

Jimmy Clifton was kind enough to email me to let me know that Uncle Janko (real name John Weaver-Hudson), who was a regular poster and DegreeInfo supporter for a long time, passed away in an automobile accident yesterday.

Longtime DegreeInfo members will remember Janko as a very knowledgeable and helpful contributor to DegreeInfo who seemed to possess an almost encyclopedia knowledge about many topics. Although he had some differences with me and stopped posting here some time back, I've always felt that his contributions to the distance learning discussions here were beneficial to many, and his passing is certainly a big loss for the distance learning community as a whole, and the Lutheran congregation he headed as pastor.
levicoff

Postby winter sky » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:37 am

I have tried to organize my thoughts, without much success, for several hours, to try to write something about John.

I will leave to others the assessments of him--all true--as authoritative in the field of distance/non-traditional/alternative education, as well as the conventional type. I will say I considered John to be the best ecclesiastical historian in the United States.

A few years ago I struck up a friendship with John. And it was quite a friendship. It will be my greatest regret that I wasn't able to visit John in person, but oh, how we talked--and talked, and talked--on the telephone! And what fun we had! Lots and lots of fun! (For those who never heard him, J. had a beautiful, mellifluous, and youthful speaking voice.)

J. was not always easy to deal with, and sometimes he wasn't entirely fair--although he repeatedly said that I was very fair, like the academic skeptics of Greek antiquity, and I hope that's mostly true.

(From what he told me, John did sometimes drive too fast, especially when he was coming home late at night from the Notre Dame library in South Bend. It is my very sad guess that that's where he had been earlier. Other than not ever being able to talk to him again, a car accident like this was my worst fear.)

I spoke with his mother at some length this afternoon. She was more composed than I would be in the same circumstances. She did mention the discussion board--it meant so much to him. She said to me in closing: "now [Winter Sky], you keep that board in line." (!) I managed a weak laugh, but I told her I didn't see how I could do that. Winter Sky is shattered. I have had many losses in my life, but I am devastated.

If anyone is interested in holding a memorial for John in Washington, D.C., please let me know.
winter sky

Postby John Bear » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:55 am

This is tremendously sad news.

I had been working fairly closely with John over the past 18 months, to help facilitate his battles with the bureaucracy in South Africa, in the pursuit of his Ph.D. More than once, in our long phone calls, he emphasized how he really needed to finish this degree soon, because he felt that his time left on earth was short. He said this again during a 90-minute phone call 3 days ago. I assumed he was referring to his physical challenges, but who knows. He suffered from severe narcolepsy, and said he had pretty much given up driving at night, so this may well have been a factor.

He had been working on his dissertation for at least nine years, and I regard it as an academic masterpiece: The Republic of the Sacred: A Commentary on Book II of Cicero’s On the Laws.

He will be sorely missed -- here, and in so many other places.

John

(I did post a message earlier today, which I do not see; apologies if this turns out to be a repeat.)
John Bear

Postby Brandon » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:04 am

If someone could give my condolences to his mother and his family, I'd appreciate it. This is all just so sad and unbelievable. I can't believe it and words can't describe the grief I feel right now.
Be sober and watch: because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, goeth about seeking whom he may devour.

- 1 Peter 5:8

Bernie 2016

Support the Pregnant Women Support Act!
Brandon

Postby DBAinAccounting » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:21 am

Rest in Peace.
DBAinAccounting

Dr. John Weaver-Hudson

Postby Poimen » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:06 am

I am deeply saddened by the news of Janko's passing. For several years at DegreeInfo, then from the inception of DegreeDiscussion, both in forum and PM dialogue, we participated in serious, sometimes sarcastic, and often spirited debate. He will be missed.

May I posthumously congratulation Janko on completion of his doctorate.
Poimen
Poimen

Postby Tom57 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:38 am

This is shocking and horrible news. I butted heads with Janko more than a few times on degreeinfo, but I always respected his views. He had such a vibrant personality that one couldn't ignore on this forum and back on degreeinfo. I always read his posts with interest. Often I would open a thread for no other reason than Janko's name showed under the Last Post.

I am really sad to hear this. May he rest in peace, and God bless his family.

Tom
Tom57

Postby mattchand » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:49 am

I am on the road at the moment, and it had been a couple of days since I'd checked in for a look at DD. I saw the news posted by Jimmy and simply gasped in shock. This is a loss to his congregation and those who knew him in person, and for us here and elsewhere who had become familiar with his dry wit and often brilliant discussion of academia and other topics. In addition to this, however, it is fitting to add that this is a tremendous loss for the world of distance education. In forums such as this and elsewhere, "Uncle Janko" was one of the real standard bearers for a standard in DL... may many rise to take his place, as many will surely be needed to fill his academically and intellectually (as well as spiritually) large shoes.

Saddened, and yet happy in the assurance of Janko's present reality,

Matt
mattchand

Postby jek2839 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:16 am

Rest in Peace.
jek2839
jek2839

Postby Buckwheat Wildebeest » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:47 am

Goodbye Unk, I always liked reading what you had to say....you left a lasting impression on me.
Buckwheat Wildebeest

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions