In Memoriam Uncle Janko

General discussions concerning institutions and degree programs.

In Memoriam Uncle Janko

Postby Jimmy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:26 pm

I am saddened to report that Uncle Janko was killed in a car accident. I talked to his mother this morning and while obviously devastated, the family is holding up well. Please prayer for the family and the congregation Unk served.

By ANDREW LERSTEN
H-P South Haven Bureau
HARTFORD - A Hartford church lost its spiritual leader in a car crash Tuesday.

Rev. John Weaver-Hudson, 50, of Hope Evangelical Lutheran Church died in what police believe was a one-car crash on westbound Interstate 94.

The car was found flipped over in the median of I-94, near the Hartford exit, shortly before 5 a.m., state police from the Paw Paw post reported.

"There were some slippery spots this morning," Sgt. Russ Ammon said. "There could have been some patches of black ice (causing a slide-off). I just don't know."

Police found Weaver-Hudson strapped in with a seat belt inside the upside-down car. He wasn't breathing and could not be resuscitated, Ammon said.

Weaver-Hudson, who was single, had been pastor at Hope Evangelical Lutheran Church for at least eight years, said church Elder Bob Weber.

"He preached The Word very well and from a very conservative viewpoint," Weber said. "He was very good on the history of the church. He was a very knowledgeable man."

Next-door neighbor Ron Ward said, "He was friendly. When we saw him, he was very cordial. He was pretty reserved. I imagine he was dedicated to his church work."

State police are asking for anyone who may have witnessed the crash to call them at the Paw Paw post, 657-5551.

Funeral arrangements are being handled by Calvin Funeral Home in Hartford.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Re: Uncle Janko killed in auto accident

Postby some gobbledygook » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:42 pm

I am deeply saddened to hear this. John was always willing to fight for what he thought was right, and yet at the same time very personable and encouraging in many a PM. I will miss him.

Thanks for letting everyone know, Jimmy.
some gobbledygook

Postby nosborne48 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:34 pm

WHAT!?

How is such a thing possible?

A great loss to his family, his church, and his friends here and elsewhere.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby Crisper » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:37 pm

This is terrible, terrible news. He will be missed by so many, including those of us here who were inspired by his insistence on quality in education, and honor in all things.
Chris
Crisper

Postby Jimmy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:11 pm

Having been sworn to secrecy, I think I can now share that Unk recently received his doctorate from UNIZUL. His dissertation was about Cicero.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby Tireman4 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:27 pm

Oh my goodness. My prayers go out to his family. I just dont know what to say.
Michael Mitchell
BA-History-North Carolina Wesleyan College
MA-History-North Carolina Central University
PhD-History(Ongoing)-University of South Africa (2012)
Tireman4

Postby Brandon » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:03 pm

I have lost a friend and a mentor. I am just speechless. I never got to tell him goodbye or how just how much he meant to me. Now, in this life, I never will. This is just utterly devastating. It just can't be. :(
Be sober and watch: because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, goeth about seeking whom he may devour.

- 1 Peter 5:8

Bernie 2016

Support the Pregnant Women Support Act!
Brandon

Postby Charles » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:04 pm

God bless him. He was such giant on this forum. I can only imagine what a great presence he was in real life. He will be missed by many.
Charles
Charles

Postby ReverendRick » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:21 pm

Sad news. John's counsel will be missed.
ReverendRick

Postby Jonathan Whatley » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:41 pm

He goes home. We lose such a part of ours.

And, 50! With his recurring talk of being 'old.' I hope he was not prone to the same self-deprecation when he turned to assess the value to us and to all those around him of his friendship, counsel, and example.

Let's keep what we can of what he left us alive. Though it still won't ever, ever make up.
Jonathan Whatley

Postby levicoff » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:45 pm

The Usual Humorous Part . . .

Two thoughts . . .

First, to Jimmy . . . You've got to stop showing up like this - to announce a death. Granted, most of your announcements are about well-known celebrities, but this one is a little more personal. I, for one, wish you would stick around in the good times.

Second, I'm sure the DLT wazoos will have a ball with this - everything from "Levicoff jokes about Janko getting killed" to "It was a fatwa - let's see what happens to the rest of DD's infamous crew."

The Not-So-Happy Part . . .

In the blink of an eye, as he left us, this forum and my heart feel a sudden emptiness. :( Janko had my affection and respect - for his wit, his balls and, most of all, his credibility. Even when we held different positions on an issue (which was rare), John was one guy I had no desire to diss. On the rare occasion when people of question rose against him, it was both a pleasure and honor to stand with him. Our "Unk" was, and always will be, a class act.
levicoff

Postby winter sky » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:03 pm

Jimmy, I am devastated to hear this. I will post a remembrance later.

I tried to send you a private message but could not. Might I ask you to send me one?
winter sky

Postby Abner » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:08 pm

Thanks for letting us know Jimmy. I am so sorry to hear that.

Abner
Abner

Postby TheoloM » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:31 pm

Janko will be missed by all of us on degreediscussion. May the Holy Spirit comfort his family at this time. His family certainly will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Thanks Jimmy for posting this sad, but important news.

TheoloM
TheoloM

Postby Hungry Ghost » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:49 pm

Unk was a fundamentally good person, who stood up for what he believed in and for what he thought was right.

This board just isn't going to be the same without his dry wit. And who else is going to use his foreign phrases?

Unk's presence around here was something that I just sort of took for granted and his loss comes as a shock. It deeply saddens me. I'll treasure his memory.
Hungry Ghost

Next

Return to General Discussions