Columbia Pacific UNiversity Receives IRS Non Profit Status

General discussions concerning institutions and degree programs.

Postby Jake_A » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Hungry Ghost wrote:
John Bear wrote:Re Columbia Commonwealth: Carr wrote me last week to say (obviously not as a public announcement) that he believes the process with their North Central Association application is moving well; that $600,000 has been spent on the process, and more is being raised.
Talk's cheap. I won't give it very much credence until the NCA/HLC places CCWU on its applicants for initial candidacy list and solicits comments.

I agree with you, Dr. or Mr. or Ms. Hungry Ghost!

Talk - and nothing but talk - really is cheap. When Dr. Bear mentioned the fact that someone thought that things were going rather well because "$600,000 had been spent," my initial reaction was: - "Oh, boy! watch out! the proprietors and owners of un-wonderful and unaccredited "schools" may point to this and say something like 'Aha! Do you see how expensive it is to go for accreditation?"

I would respond to any mill or shill or proponent of the "unaccredited-on-account-of-so-called-expensive-accreditation-process" position as follows: "Accreditation is NOT expensive. Having in place, good and high-quality academic programs, infrastructure, personnel and materials, is not by any means, a cheap undertaking. It may be "expensive" but it is what the "high quality" designation often calls for.

Legitimate accreditation comes after the fact: Design/implement/refine good academic, service and management programs, then accreditation follows and certifies that "said programs, services and management" meet the MINIMUM externally-verifiable criteria for NA or RA or SA (specialized) accreditation.

Now, will CCWU become accredited, after having claimed to have spent $600,0000 thus far, on the process? Who knows. My guess is probably "Not" if the money was not well-spent in the substantive academic, delivery and oversight areas that really do matter. I wish the institution well.

Thanks.
MS, MPH, CPM, CCP, PhD Cand.
"A good name is better than riches"
BS Brown University, Prov, RI
MS Columbia University, NYC
MPH, Columbia University, NYC
CPM, Geo. Wash. Univ, DC
CCP, Learning Tree Int, Rock, MD
Ph.D. University of South Africa
Jake_A

Postby Earon Kavanagh » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:16 pm

Jake_A wrote:
Hungry Ghost wrote:
John Bear wrote:Re Columbia Commonwealth: Carr wrote me last week to say (obviously not as a public announcement) that he believes the process with their North Central Association application is moving well; that $600,000 has been spent on the process, and more is being raised.
Talk's cheap. I won't give it very much credence until the NCA/HLC places CCWU on its applicants for initial candidacy list and solicits comments.

Talk - and nothing but talk - really is cheap. When Dr. Bear mentioned the fact that someone thought that things were going rather well because "$600,000 had been spent," my initial reaction was: - "Oh, boy! watch out! the proprietors and owners of un-wonderful and unaccredited "schools" may point to this and say something like 'Aha! Do you see how expensive it is to go for accreditation?"

I would respond to any mill or shill or proponent of the "unaccredited-on-account-of-so-called-expensive-accreditation-process" position as follows: "Accreditation is NOT expensive. Having in place, good and high-quality academic programs, infrastructure, personnel and materials, is not by any means, a cheap undertaking. It may be "expensive" but it is what the "high quality" designation often calls for.

Legitimate accreditation comes after the fact: Design/implement/refine good academic, service and management programs, then accreditation follows and certifies that "said programs, services and management" meet the MINIMUM externally-verifiable criteria for NA or RA or SA (specialized) accreditation.

Now, will CCWU become accredited, after having claimed to have spent $600,0000 thus far, on the process? Who knows. My guess is probably "Not" if the money was not well-spent in the substantive academic, delivery and oversight areas that really do matter. I wish the institution well.

Thanks.

All good points, Jake. A quick call to NCA might get some verification... or not. I have many alumni from the old CPU that said they were told those kinds of stories. One of the stories was that WASC was considering CPU on its next big meeting. That story was told to me quite recently by an alum and goes back a ways. Until I see the proof I won't even buy that there is an intention. But then I am quite cynical about such matters.
earon
Earon Kavanagh

Re: Columbia Pacific UNiversity Receives IRS Non Profit Stat

Postby RobbCD » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:24 pm

Earon Kavanagh wrote:
Columbia Pacific University incorporated as a nonprofit corporation in Delaware (early 2005). CPU is not offering degree programs currently. Nor is CPU, at this time, registered or licensed in any state to offer degrees.

Are you planning to offer degrees down the road, or just not ruling the possiblity out?
RobbCD

Postby Earon Kavanagh » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:51 pm

RobbCD wrote:
Earon Kavanagh wrote:
Columbia Pacific University incorporated as a nonprofit corporation in Delaware (early 2005). CPU is not offering degree programs currently. Nor is CPU, at this time, registered or licensed in any state to offer degrees.

Are you planning to offer degrees down the road, or just not ruling the possiblity out?

Hello Robb,
Go to the first statement on page one of this thread; it is all there. The straight answer is that there is no clear answer, other than "no" at this time. There are just too many things to consider currently and our alumni servicing operations have only begun within the past year. That is all a big chunk of work: websites to manage, press people making inquiries, transcripts, phone calls, etc. We are all volunteers except for one long-time employee operating as part time staff. There are various committees and there are those that want us to offer degrees, some persons of which are already educators in traditional academia. There is talk but nothing that is approved. Talk means little to me. The Board has to consider and approve alnything that goes out the CPU door, and the Board is very conservative and cautious, given our experience. We cannot afford to be making claims about intentions, as it is not in CPU's best interests, or in the interests of our alumni, and equally important, the interests of the public. At this point we are an alumni learning community that has IRS nonprofit status. We have 7000 or so alumni to adminsiter to. Nothin more. But if you know any CPU alums with money to burn, pass the word that we are starting to fundraise and we can offer tax receipts for donations in the USA. My thoughts are that this might be the first time anything like this has ever occurred in distance education - alumni organizing like this after a private institution closes. This organizing process has been going on formally since 2001 and previously in an informal way. We mainly have used the web to organize. We will soon get the IRS document up online and announce its URL.
best regards,
earon
Earon Kavanagh

Postby Rich Douglas » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:38 pm

Earon:

Does this new organization own the "Columbia Pacific University" name?
Rich Douglas

Postby Earon Kavanagh » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:51 pm

Rich Douglas wrote:Earon:

Does this new organization own the "Columbia Pacific University" name?

Hello Rich,

The answer to your question is "Yes"

The CPU organization also owns the CPU seal, has the rights to use the old curriculum (if it so choses), and all of the student records including thirty or so filing cabinets full of records. CPU is also starting a fundraising program which includes the sale of alumni oriented products. CPU was incorporated in Delaware as a nonprofit (state of incorporation only). It is now also federally nonprofit under IRS 501c (I think that's what the regulation is called - I don't have the paperwork close by), designated as a public charity. CPU is NOT licensed or registered to grant degrees ANYWHERE and is not claiming to be granting degrees, or certificates, etc. Just so everyone is clear about this. I hope this helps, Rich.
earon
Earon Kavanagh

Postby FWD » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:46 am

Earon
However, we are doing the right things with what we have left, a large body of graduates, most of which did decent work for their degrees.

Hi Earon,

Good luck with your efforts. And best of luck on your current degree.

Sorry that I accidently posted in qoutes!

Dan
FWD

Postby Rrdantonio » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:58 pm

Hello my name is Richard D'Antonio. I graduated from Columbia Pacific University prior to its problems. I am trying to get hold of official transcripts for work & school issues. I was a candidate for a position with Northland Pioneer College but they wanted the Columbia Pacific University transcripts. The state of Az. accepted & acknowledged my Masters but now I need new official transcripts. Rrdantonio@cox.net Thank you for any help.
Richard D'Antonio
Rrdantonio

Postby Rrdantonio » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:04 am

Hi, There seems to be a huge discussion about what I would call irrelevant issues. Columbia Pacific University was shut down by the state of California. Whether this was justified or not the result s the same. Now that a lot of money has been spent to acquire the non-taxable status by the IRS, what is the plan? Richard D'Antonio
Rrdantonio

Postby Rrdantonio » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:20 pm

Okay, you have non-profit status. You have the Columbia Pacific name and Symbol. What are your plans & how do these plans effect CPU grads. As I mentioned, I am interested in finding Official Transcripts. Are they available? Who has them?
Richard D'Antonio Rrdantonio@cox.net
Rrdantonio

Postby hierophant » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:15 pm

Rrdantonio wrote:As I mentioned, I am interested in finding Official Transcripts. Are they available? Who has them?

My suggestion is to contact the California BPPE and ask them whether there is a custodian of records for Columbia Pacific and if so, who it is. (It's usually another school.)

http://www.bppe.ca.gov
hierophant

Previous

Return to General Discussions