Columbia Pacific UNiversity Receives IRS Non Profit Status

General discussions concerning institutions and degree programs.

Columbia Pacific UNiversity Receives IRS Non Profit Status

Postby Earon Kavanagh » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:15 pm

I have some recent news about Columbia Pacific University. Alumni who watch this board and others who know of CPU might be interested in this.

I am pleased to report that two weeks ago Columbia Pacific University received notification that after application and review (a somewhat long and involved process) it has been granted nonprofit status by the IRS - USA Internal Revenue Service.

Oldtimers here and at www.degreeinfo.com know that I have been actively involved with CPU alumni for several years. That involvement has resulted in a reorganization effort for the benefit of CPU's stakeholders.

Columbia Pacific University incorporated as a nonprofit corporation in Delaware (early 2005). CPU is not offering degree programs currently. Nor is CPU, at this time, registered or licensed in any state to offer degrees.

Columbia Pacific University no longer has ANY involvement in ANY way with ANY of its originators/owners from when it was a state approved for-profit university based in California (founded and authorized in 1978, state approved from 1983 to 1997). Nor does CPU have ANY involvement in ANY way with ANY ventures operated by CPU's original founders. CPU closed its doors in late 2000. CPU has now re-opened to continue serving its alumni base. There is a requirement for approved schools in California to provide such services for a minimum of 50 years after closure.

Our alumni board of governors, which includes myself, acquired CPU's remaining assets early in 2005. There wasn't much left to acquire. In addition to other assets we now control transcripts, records and other services and the list of CPU graduates. We are currently developing an alumni association and related services.

What I can report is that CPU's Board of Alumni Governors has been involved in a self study process for over one year. In this process we have been examining, as best we can, what worked about CPU, and what didn't work, warts and all. We are also embarking on the formulation of a strategic plan and examining what other kinds of programs we can offer alumni. Information will be available on our website http://www.cpuniv.us

CPU has recently retained the services of one of its longtime administration employees - to assist us in various matters.

Currently, CPU's focus is the provision of services to our alumni base of over 7000. Our transcript forwarding service is legally incorporated in Florida for those operations.

Will CPU re-emerge as a degree granting institution? The Board of Governors has not yet arrived to that point in our journey, and therefore cannot provide any information that would be fair to CPU, to our alumni, or to the public. We will provide information as we have it.

I hope this is helpful,

Earon Kavanagh
Columbia Pacific University Alumni Board of Governors
Earon Kavanagh

Postby Jimmy » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:22 pm

Good to have you back on DL fora, Earon. So how does this impact (if it does) Columbia Commonwealth?
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby Earon Kavanagh » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:50 am

Hi Jimmy,
We have not corresponded for a couple years.
There is no such relationship with any ventures operated by CPU's original founders, as the announcement states.

My understanding is that Dr. Les Carr started Columbia Pacific U Montana (which is what it was called) in late 2000. Then, in March 2001 Carr changed the name to CCWU. Carr still had the responsibility to operate an alumni office to provide transcripts for graduates of the original CPU. The Alumni Board of Governors of CPU approached Carr last year and said "we want the assets of CPU, whatever is left". Carr signed it all over to us. We took over everything including some 30-plus filing cabinets of records which we now have in a storage and access space. There is no connection. CCWU is private for profit and has nothing to do with Columbia Pacific University, which is now a federally recognized public charity under IRS regulations. I doubt we would have any impact on CCWU - we are only concerned with our own community of stakeholders, and frankly CCWU is not on our radar.
Best Regards,
Earon
Earon Kavanagh

Postby North » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:52 am

Earon,

I am sure the alumni of CPU appreciate your efforts on behalf of CPU. They have taken a beating. Not sure what in point of fact happened but CPU produced many fine and sincere alumni.

Good luck to you and with your studies.

North
North
North

Postby John Bear » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:11 am

Re Columbia Commonwealth: Carr wrote me last week to say (obviously not as a public announcement) that he believes the process with their North Central Association application is moving well; that $600,000 has been spent on the process, and more is being raised.

Recall that Carr orchestrated the successful regional accreditation process for two earlier schools of which he was president, Lewis University in Illinois and New College in San Francisco (which is where I met him in the late 70s).
John Bear

Postby bing » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:05 pm

They will probabaly get a flock of applicants "rolling the dice" thinking they can get in under the radar now. If they have a shot at accreditation then people in a PhD program will be allowed to be "taught out" most likely...but the school won't be allowed to continue with new doctoral applicants. It's a good strategy, really, but much like shooting craps. Hardly anyone would ever question the school, save academia.

Bing

John Bear wrote:Re Columbia Commonwealth: Carr wrote me last week to say (obviously not as a public announcement) that he believes the process with their North Central Association application is moving well; that $600,000 has been spent on the process, and more is being raised.

Recall that Carr orchestrated the successful regional accreditation process for two earlier schools of which he was president, Lewis University in Illinois and New College in San Francisco (which is where I met him in the late 70s).
bing

Postby Earon Kavanagh » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:39 pm

John Bear wrote:Re Columbia Commonwealth: Carr wrote me last week to say (obviously not as a public announcement) that he believes the process with their North Central Association application is moving well; that $600,000 has been spent on the process, and more is being raised.

I sincerely hope that CCWU does get regional accreditation. I have my masters degree from there. I was one of those who signed legal papers in early 2001 to transfer to what became CCWU. When I get my Tilburg PhD (groan, so rigorous, so time consuming) I plan to pick up another accredited or GAAP degree. Who would've taught that "lifelong learner" would mean I'd be slaving for decades in hopes of eventually getting an accredited or GAAP degree?

I read online in 2005 on another distance ed group (the one that closed down a while back) that NCA told othe writer that no application had been made by CCWU. I guess someone could contact NCA for verification of that claim. After 17 years in the sometimes wild and woolly world of distance ed I rarely take persons at their word anymore.

earon
Earon Kavanagh

Postby Earon Kavanagh » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:09 pm

North wrote:Earon,

I am sure the alumni of CPU appreciate your efforts on behalf of CPU. They have taken a beating. Not sure what in point of fact happened but CPU produced many fine and sincere alumni.

Good luck to you and with your studies.

North

Hi North,
Nice to hear from you. The California thing was quite murky. I have always asserted that the state cronies are just as culpable as CPU's former owners. We will one day get our full pound of flesh; the students and alumni, consumers, got screwed. Reputations of many were unfairly tarnished. But that is the past. We have proven we are not going anywhere.

There is a core group of us that make up the alumni board of governors. And there are also other CPU grads involved with various committees. We currently have about 140 alumni signed on at our alumni website: http://www.altcpualumni.org We also own another alumni domain which I cannot remember at the moment. Some will remember that I started up the alumni website in March of 2001. It has had millions of hits over the past five years and well over 100,000 visits. It is now the official alumni website, but we will also incorporate the other domain address as soon as there is no longer a need to be "alt-alumni", and that day has pretty much arrived. The IRS approval allows us to raise funds and give receipts for tax-deductible donations. Many CPU alumni that have heard the news are feeling pretty buzzed these days.

We also have what is now the main CPU website (http://www.cpuniv.us).
Best,
Earon
Earon Kavanagh

Postby FWD » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:20 pm

Dr.Bear,

Re Columbia Commonwealth: Carr wrote me last week to say (obviously not as a public announcement) that he believes the process with their North Central Association application is moving well; that $600,000 has been spent on the process, and more

Given all that has happened should they be accredited? Seems to me if accredidation were to happen this would be a rather reckless act by the NCA.
FWD

Postby Earon Kavanagh » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:29 am

Hi FWD,
In light of what you just wrote, and responding in an exploratory manner, i would see appropriate accreditation as a form of rehabilitation, e.g., a school coming in from the cold to participate in the practices of a responsible education community where it can be held accountable under a standardized lens. I also suggest that the long positioning process that an institution has to undergo in order to become accredited functions in itself as a cleansing of the past. Don't you agree it is better for a school to be accredited, thus giving the public a guarantee of minimum quality? I realize I have just asked a leading question, but I also think that accrediting agencies are open to accrediting schools who demonstrate they can pass muster. I think there is a minimum requirement for operation before a school can enter into a dialogue withan accreditor.
Regards,
Earon Kavanagh
Earon Kavanagh

Postby FWD » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:38 am

Earon
i would see appropriate accreditation as a form of rehabilitation,[url]

Hi Earon,

IMHO rehabilitation would only add insult to injury. Why should the owners be let off scott free as though the CPU mess never happened ? Giving CCWU accredidation would also be a slap in the face to all of you who are left trying to pick up the CPU pieces.

What is also troubling about the CPU situation is what transpired after its closure. Everything from the absurd sister school IAUS,New Utopia,New Millinium Foundation intergallactic idiocy,Malawi etc. If an accreditor fails to take this nonsense into consideration that would be rather pathetic.

We've chatted about this before so forgive me if it seems repetitive. It's just a shame when sincere people work hard for academic credentials only to see them crumble due to the antics of the owners. To a lesser degree I went through the same thing. In the end I called it a day and moved on.

Dan

[/url]
FWD

Postby Earon Kavanagh » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:20 pm

FWD wrote:Earon

Hi Earon,

IMHO rehabilitation would only add insult to injury. Why should the owners be let off scott free as though the CPU mess never happened ? Giving CCWU accredidation would also be a slap in the face to all of you who are left trying to pick up the CPU pieces.

What is also troubling about the CPU situation is what transpired after its closure. Everything from the absurd sister school IAUS,New Utopia,New Millinium Foundation intergallactic idiocy,Malawi etc. If an accreditor fails to take this nonsense into consideration that would be rather pathetic.

We've chatted about this before so forgive me if it seems repetitive. It's just a shame when sincere people work hard for academic credentials only to see them crumble due to the antics of the owners. To a lesser degree I went through the same thing. In the end I called it a day and moved on.

Dan

[/url]
Earon Kavanagh

Postby Earon Kavanagh » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:46 pm

Hi Earon,

Dan

[/url]

Hello Dan,
What you say is appropriate. An institution has to deliver an air of decorum. The wacky liberal experiment, the deconstruction of decorum and curriculum, in education is very much finished (e.g., California and other states). I'd like for CCWU to be accredited because circumstances led me to graduate from there after several years of working on a masters with the former CPU. The decorum, public perception, associated with a university degree needs to be observed and enshrined. Like yourself I can speak from experience. I struggled with an almost finished thesis for years while the old CPU was crumbling around me. It was too late to quit. I did not know what the future would hold. All I really had at that time was my work, what I was producing in the thesis.

However, I have strong doubts that CCWU would ever become accredited. Why do I say this? Because the leadership of CCWU, although as John Bear acknowledges, brought a number of accreditation efforts to fruition in the pre-1978 seventies, have not had any successes since. Pre-1978 no longer means much. What have they done lately? The ability or desire-put-into-action to get a school accredited has not been demonstrated in approximately 30 years. 30 years is a whole career. They taked the talk for years, but they did not walk the walk. I say "show me the money! where's the beef? Have your bowel movement or get off the pot"!

Now consider this. It took one year of a group of CPU alumni to get CPU re-established (not offering degrees at this time), acquire remaining assets, take over the administration of its transcripts and records, AND get IRS non-profit approval. CPU, as our announcement states, has no relatioonship with its founders, previous owners, and no relationship with CCWU. I am one of the people who made that happen. We still have to wear our past, the past that others, including a certain state whose own education practices have at times been deplorable, created for us without our input. However, we are doing the right things with what we have left, a large body of graduates, most of which did decent work for their degrees.
Earon
Earon Kavanagh

Postby Hungry Ghost » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:23 pm

Talk's cheap. I won't give it very much credence until the NCA/HLC places CCWU on its applicants for initial candidacy list and solicits comments.

http://www.ncahigherlearningcommission. ... &Itemid=80

He also let CPU unravel, then went off the rails entirely with his Indian tribe and Malawi "accreditation" schemes while moving his school through a series of mail-drop addresses in different states.

Most recently CCWU claims that it's located in Rock Springs WY. Before that, its "physical address" consisted of a normally vacant one-person office in Jackson WY, I believe. (The details are on some Degreeinfo thread.) Before that it claimed a Montana address, until the Montana authorities evicted them. My guess is that Carr really operates it out of his home, which probably isn't even in the NCA/HLC region.

So the first item of business for CCWU is to reveal which shell it's hidden under and tell the NCA/HLC site visit team where they should go to find the university.

http://www.ccwu.edu/
Hungry Ghost

Postby Earon Kavanagh » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:30 pm

Hi Earon,

Dan

[/url]

Hello again, Dan
Another point. Bill Dayson has written something in the past that has remained with me for some years. If an institution is for profit, it often becomes associated with the egos of its owners. Or something like that.
I have complained about those business experiments carried out by CPU's founders in the latter years as CPU began to crumble. The actions had nothing to do with CPU, but CPU had to wear the criticism. Here's my way of looking at it. A university becomes an educational community. It is its systems and admin, its curriculum, AND its students and alumni, AND it becomes embedded in the overall community. In my view none of this can be separated. A school should be nonprofit and accredited. Period. The forprofit school presents challenges because it is often tied to the egos of its owners, rather than the whole community. If someone starts a school that is for profit then he/she/they better tread carefully, observe decorum, and remain as much as possible out of the limelight other than properly presiding over the institution's interests. Like counselors and therapists, they should not have dual relationships: such other business interests they are actively involved with. They should definitely not be involved with wacky experiements that challenge the credibility of their judgement or bring judgements on the institution they founded. Those later idiotic activities by CPU's owners had nothing to do with CPU and were not in the best interests of CPU. There was one exception, the Indian "accreditation". Their actions brought CPU to shame, and this shame has been unfair to CPU's community. The owners did well for many years but started losing it in the 1990's when the new regulations were passed in California. They did not prepare CPU adequately to meet the regulations. All of the above you refer to occurred after 1997, after CPU operated successfully for almost 20 years. The owners effectively lost their marbles after they lost an administrative appeal in 1997. They effective abandoned the institution, sold the CPU building, probably took their money out, and began doing other ventures. The wacky New Utopia would be one of them. CPU and its community got left behind. The captains abandoned the ship. Let's separate CPU from the fallible actions of its former owners. They are long gone.

earon
Earon Kavanagh

Next

Return to General Discussions