EdX

General discussions concerning institutions and degree programs.

EdX

Postby hierophant » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:01 pm

I don't know if anyone has posted about this before, but I just learned about it today.

It's something called EdX that offers videos of lectures from prominent universities around the world (Harvard, Berkeley, MIT, UBC, the Sorbonne... for free.

There seem to some kind of online exams (I'm guessing they are computer scored) and if you pass them, they send you a certificate of completion that you can show employers or put on your CV.

It's a MOOC.

Not only that, they apparently have arrangements for third-party assessment credit through ACE and Charter Oak State College, that many other universities in the US should accept towards degree programs.

Check it out:

https://www.edx.org/
hierophant

Re: EdX

Postby Eric » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:56 am

Bruce on the other site shared valuble information:

MOOC Review
So, the concept of MOOC's (Massive Open Online Course) has interested me for awhile, so I decided to see what they're all about. I recently completed one through Coursera by Case Western Reserve University in International Law, and sprung the $49 for the certificate. I'm now in the middle of one through EdX in the Psychology of Criminal Justice from the University of Queensland (Australia).

These observations are limited to the courses I've taken or are taking, but looking through the syllabi of other courses, it seems to be fairly standard.

Coursera - You have one instructor for the entire course (in my case, Michael Scharf from the CWR Law School), and the video lectures are one lengthy (45-60 minutes) video for each module. The videos pause at certain points to have a quiz on the material, which is instantly graded, and the correct answer explained. At the end of the course, there's an online test that gives you 3 attempts to pass. The certificate isn't diploma quality, that's for sure, but it's not incredibly cheap-looking, either. The name of the school (in my instance, Case Western Reserve University) is prominently displayed, with the instructor's signature.

EdX - There seems to be multiple instructors for one course, with the video lectures being broken down to 5-6 shorter ones (8-14 minutes), often with different instructors for each video. There is an online quiz at the end of each module, rather than during the lectures like with Coursera, and an online test at the end of the course, as well. The certificate for this one is more pricey ($99), and since I haven't received it yet, I can't offer an opinion on the quality.

Coursera also offers programs that consist of a sequence of courses that result in a more formal qualification. Especially of interest to this group is an online teaching program that consists of 4 courses and a capstone, offered by the University of California -Irvine Extension.

So, what are the value of these? For me, they're extremely interesting, and I learned a ton about International Law, a subject that interests me, that I didn't know. The Psychology of Criminal Justice course so far hasn't been as engaging, since I have formal training in both areas already, but the international flavor has had interesting moments. Also, having a brand name like Case Western Reserve or University of Queensland in the resume certainly can't hurt.

Coursera - https://www.coursera.org/

EdX - https://www.edx.org/
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Return to General Discussions