How do I learn to design lighter-than-air craft?

General discussions concerning institutions and degree programs.

How do I learn to design lighter-than-air craft?

Postby Scythe » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:55 pm

Is there a field of study that I can major in that specializes in things like hot air balloons, blimps, etc.? Avionics and aerospace engineering is all about airplanes and spaceships, right? What do I do if I want to design hot air balloons?
Scythe

Re: How do I learn to design lighter-than-air craft?

Postby hierophant » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:26 pm

Scythe wrote:Is there a field of study that I can major in that specializes in things like hot air balloons, blimps, etc.? Avionics and aerospace engineering is all about airplanes and spaceships, right? What do I do if I want to design hot air balloons?

Aeronautical engineering addresses lighter than air aircraft. Many university AeroE programs offer classes on lighter-than-air vehicles, and some have active research projects in the area. People do graduate theses on it.

You know, all of MIT's freshmen engineering students receive an assignment to design a lighter than air UAV vehicle with particular characteristics. (MIT engineering students don't choose a specialty until after their first year, which is largely devoted to the physics, chemistry and mathematics. But to keep them engaged with engineering, they are assigned these projects.)

Unfortunately, I don't really know of any aeronautical engineering programs that can be completed by distance learning.
hierophant

Re: How do I learn to design lighter-than-air craft?

Postby Scythe » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:08 pm

Thank you!
Scythe

Return to General Discussions