Did World College closed it doors ???

General discussions concerning institutions and degree programs.

Did World College closed it doors ???

Postby Eric » Mon May 12, 2014 10:35 pm

It appears that World College closed their doors?

Cleveland Institute of Electronics no longer displaying the World College on their web site nor offers Bachelor degrees.
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Re: Did World College closed it doors ???

Postby nosborne48 » Tue May 13, 2014 12:08 am

Wow, they don't even make mention of WC on the CIE site.

I was tempted to complete the BEET on many occasions thoughout the years but it looked to me like the junior and senior years were almost entirely devoted to general education and management while the AAS, which i earned from CIE, was where the bulk of the technology stuff happened. Already having a BA, it just didn't make sense.

I'm sorry to see WC go, if in fact they are gone. The world has changed. I guess there's still a demand for trained electronics techs but most stuff these days is cheaper to toss and replace than to fix.

Remember the TV Repairman with his pocket protector and tube caddy?

Hunh. Makes me remember...I earned my First-Class Radiotelephone Operator License in my senior year of High School, 1971. A pretty Big Deal at the time, too. The license was REQUIRED to operate any FM or TV broadcast transmitter while it was on the air. Also directional AM stations, if I recall correctly. Also required to adjust and maintain a huge array of other transmitting gear. I got a good job with it, too. But gear got more stable. It didn't need watching. So in 1984 the FCC abolished the First Phone and deregulated a whole bunch of other radio services, too.

That license was the basic, bread and butter income stream for CIE. The school still offers what I suspect was once its most popular course, FCC License, but only two services still require it, Marine and Aviation. Nevertheless, CIE still stayed in business by adapting, adapting, adapting. Maybe they are near the end of the road.

I hope not but who does component level technology anymore?
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby nosborne48 » Tue May 13, 2014 12:17 am

Just a couple of related observations:

The current FCC license is the General Radiotelephone Operator License. It manages to be at once both not easy to get and largely useless. Still, it is the single most widely held FCC operator license INCLUDING the various amateur radio tickets.

Most major nations have eliminated all licensing for radio transmitter technicians. We still offer such a license and what is more, we still offer a commercial RADIOTELEGRAPH operator license!

I have NO idea why.

(Admission: I have both.) :roll:
nosborne48

Postby Eric » Tue May 13, 2014 6:22 am

I think in the case of WC, the records are going to be with CIE. So graduates can order transcripts at CIE.
In a way the WC subsidiary is no longer there but the main school CIE still around.

CIE is open for business, lets see if they will get re-accredited in June.

There is also a possibility that World College was sold. I will post an update as soon as I learn more.
Eric

President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby Eric » Tue May 13, 2014 6:16 pm

Eric,

The website has been closed and we are just not accepting any new bachelor degree enrollments. All active students are still fully accredited to finish their degree program.

Sincerely,
CIE/WC
Eric

President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby cbkent » Mon May 26, 2014 10:00 pm

nosborne--

After swearing that I was finished with DL, you got me to enroll in one more program. I remember the old CIE ads in Popular Electronics. Just for fun, I visited their site. They have a 19 lesson GROL course on CD that includes toll-free phone access to faculty, online exams, their student newspaper "The Electron," and a certificate of completion for $49.95! That's a lot less than their First Phone course was in the 60s and 70s. I had to go for it.

I read an article in Electric Radio by a guy who got the new radiotelegraph license. He has license number T00000001. I might have the wrong number of zeros. That renewed my interest. Since no commercial radiotelegraph stations exist, I want to get one before they go away. He had much difficulty finding an exam company to administer the test, even though, like me, he only have to take the written. My ancient 20 wpm Extra ticket is credit for the code test.

Don't know if the GROL prep would help. My understanding is that you have to memorize a bunch of Q codes. But hey, I never got a GROL or First Phone, so why not do so now?

cbkent
w2cbk
cbkent

Postby nosborne48 » Tue May 27, 2014 1:06 pm

cb,

No, the GROL course is waay overkill for Element 6. The Radiotelegraph written is more a tour of the history of radio technology. This isn't as weird as it sounds. The equipment is also ancient. In 1991 I went to sea on a Lykes Brothers ship. The builders plate on the Radiotelegraph console was dated two years before I was born!

The old Element 5 was where you saw the "Q" codes and it's no longer required. Element 6 is much easier than Element 3 and always has been. I was surprised by the number of ship radio officers I met who failed to pass Element 3. It's been that way since the Twenties I guess. The modern exams aren't easy. I had to take Element 9, GMDSS Maintainer, twice myself in 2002.

My "T" carries the same number as the last renewal of my 2nd class Radiotelegraph Certificate thus preserving in amber the fact that I never earned the 1st class license.

Good luck on the exams!

EDIT: yes the old Extra carries code credit. Quite a change from the 70s. I earned my T-2 before a steely eyed FCC examiner, nearly failing the sending test, but two weeks later I had to retake the 20 wpm code for my Extra. A T-2 didn't carry credit for the Extra.
nosborne48

Postby nosborne48 » Tue May 27, 2014 4:36 pm

And, of course, the Extra didn't carry credit toward the T-3 or T-2. What's really odd to me is that in those days if you wanted to upgrade from a T-3 to a T-2, you got full credit for written elements 1, 2, and 5 so all you had to do was pass element 6 but you DIDN'T get credit for the code test even though it was identical, 20 wpm plain language sending and receiving and 16 cypher groups per minute. To paraphrase the FCC handout from the 70s, code tests weren't considered "elements" so "it is generally necessary to requalify".

I wish I could find my first diploma-form T-2 license. It's somewhere. I wouldn't have thrown it out. I do still have the Amateur Extra diploma.
nosborne48

Postby cbkent » Thu May 29, 2014 4:24 pm

I just got an e-mail offer from CIE: Start any program for $10, and 40% off standard rates. Offer good through May 31.
cbkent

Postby Eric » Fri May 30, 2014 12:18 am

cbkent wrote:I just got an e-mail offer from CIE: Start any program for $10, and 40% off standard rates. Offer good through May 31.

Wait a little bit.

Institutions On Show Cause
In accordance with its procedure for Notification and Information Sharing (Section D(3), Procedures, DETC Accreditation Handbook) and 34 Code of Federal Regulations ยง602.26(b)(1), the DETC Accrediting Commission will provide written notice to the U.S. Secretary of Education, the appropriate state licensing or authorizing agencies, and the appropriate accrediting agencies, at the same time it notifies the institution of the show cause directive decision, but no later than 30 days after the Commission makes a decision to place an institution on Show Cause.

Cleveland Institute of Electronics
Mr. John R. Drinko, President

1776 East 17th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44114
instruct@cie-wc.edu

Founded in 1934. Initial Grant of Accreditation in 1956.
Next review by the Accrediting Commission: June 2014.
Eric

President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby nosborne48 » Fri May 30, 2014 12:42 am

What does it mean, Eric?
nosborne48

Postby Eric » Fri May 30, 2014 4:26 am

nosborne48 wrote:What does it mean, Eric?

World College is closed, not admitting new students, allowing existing students to complete their program.
As to CIE - Next review by the Accrediting Commission: June 2014.

I think 99% they will satisfy the requirements yet there is this 1% that they may not.
Since June 2014 is around the corner, I would wait until the DETC removes from the public notices
the Institutions On Show Cause for CIE.

What bothers me is that some of us were in contact with WC during the weeks before it suddenly closed, and no one at WC/CIE during the time when we asked questions about Institutions "On Show Cause " told us that this was a possibility, that WC will close it doors.
Eric

President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby nosborne48 » Fri May 30, 2014 3:52 pm

in a way, it might be a good thing. CIE began by providing excellent technical training via correspondence in 1934. If I recall correctly, CIE was one of the founding members of the National Home Study Council.

Only much later did the school begin "a-whoring after false gods" meaning offering degrees instead of just career diplomas. Things get expensive quickly once you start down that path and you give up the biggest advantages the diploma courses had; they were cheap and you didn't have to provide any general education so they were also quick.

I sampled the traditional, career diploma approach when I took CIE's Course 6 in 1981. I learned a LOT of engineering technology very fast. They still offer the course and it's still pretty cheap at $2,169 total tuition: http://www.cie-wc.edu/Electronics-Engineering.aspx

The school says it takes about 30 months. I think that's overestimating. It can be done in half that time if you really apply yourself.
nosborne48

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:19 am

Well unfortunately CIE also lost it accreditation.
They still offer AAS degrees but now these are state approved only.
Eric

President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby crashzee » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:18 am

Very bummed, Doing good in CIE, still owe about 2 grand, CIE lost accreditation July 18th. No notification, I had to find out on this website. I sent an email today to admissions and using the contact box on the schools website yesterday. I'll give them till tomorrow before I send a letter to Ohio State Board of Career Colleges and Schools per a document I found on the DETC Webite. First time I attended was in 1988, did 1 term, then couldn't afford it anymore. Attended it again in 1997, but my new job had me traveling so much I couldn't keep up. I am in a position to actually complete, and my company agreed to pay 50% if it's accredited. I stick with the Electrical/Electronics is because that is all I ever done. 10 years Navy as an Aviation Electricians Mate, Show Control Tech at Universal Studios, Electrical Designer for Luxury Coaches etc. Without a degree, a lot of companies wont even see your resume in the database.

Man, I just can't catch a break I've started 4 other colleges while in the Navy (Shore Duty) kept getting deployed on small debts, lose the Navy Tuition Assistance, drop the class and have to pay anyway.

Once out at sea, I thought I would bust out some core classes using PACE, they can't mess this up, Wrong, went to war with Iraq during Desert Storm, they flew the civilian instructors off the ship. Ugh.

BTW-They are not offering any Degree Programs on the CIE website anymore. I know my company checks degrees for accreditation before they hire anybody, after that they request for official transcripts.
crashzee

Return to General Discussions