Patten University

General discussions concerning institutions and degree programs.

Patten University

Postby Eric » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:11 am

http://patten.edu/patten-online/

Since 1944, Patten University has earned a reputation for carefully mentoring students and making a difference in our community. Today we have expanded our reach through online education while maintaining our commitment to enriching the world and giving students close personal attention. At Patten, you are never just a number.

A student can start his term every Monday. Each term is 4 months in duration.

Patten University is accredited by The Accreditation Commission for Senior Colleges, Universities of The Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), and the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.

Undergraduate Tuition

$1,316
Per Term (4 months)

$350
Per Month *

Graduate Tuition

$1,996
Per Term (4 months)

$520
Per Month *
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Re: Patten University

Postby Rich Douglas » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:58 pm

And?
Rich Douglas

Postby johann » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:22 pm

Nothing wrong with Patten I guess, but maybe bear in mind:

It was previously a non-profit school and was not financially successful. Its assets were sold in 2012 to the company that owns DETC-accredited New Charter University (The former Andrew Jackson U.) and it's now a for-profit school. It was on probation from its Accreditor a couple of years back but the probation has been lifted. I think maybe Patten is getting periodic site visits to make sure everything's hunky-dory, until the next accreditation renewal.

Perhaps the changeover may have alleviated some financial matters, that possibly caused the Accreditor concern. I'm just guessing - I have no proof of that.

Johann
johann

Postby Eric » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:09 am

Rich Douglas wrote:And?

I though that the tuition of on line degree programs of this RA accredited University is very affordable.

They use the same tactic as Andrew Jackson / New Charter tuition by term.
So in the term of 4 months if a person takes 3 classes then in a year of three trimesters one can earn equiv of 27 semester credits.
With tuition of around 4,000 USD a year.
Some people capable to complete a class per month so it can be 4 classes a month 36 credits a year.

Or MBA for about 6000 to 8000 USD.

To me its one of the less expansive RA universities that offer business degrees.

My youngest son is a senior and he is graduating from great blue ribbon public HS. SO its been time of applications to universities.
He got so far 14 letters of acceptance and 4 denials with one standby.
Some really good scholarships etc., number of schools have full 100% ride including living on the campus others about 50%.

I look at the tuition and my head is spinning. He made it to Stanford ( My no 1 choice for him - great private univ), UC Berkeley, some great private schools like Carnegie Mellon etc but some of them even with 50% scholarship are to expansive. He wants to go to CMU.
I knew the cost was high but some how I was 50% off , its much higher today then I though.

Not that I compare them to Patten simply, it was nice to see an RA University with reasonable tuition after looking at what we are about to spend.
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby nosborne48 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:01 am

You should be very proud of your son. Accept my congratulations!

But you know by now, Eric, that outside of computer engineering and maybe a few other professional UG programs, the source of the bachelor's degree counts for very little compared with the major. Go for the 100% scholarship types and worry about Stanford for grad school (if at all).
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby John Bear » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:48 am

Patten is a splendid example of how a school can recover from some rather troublesome publicity.

1950: Founder C. Thomas Patten sentenced to 3 years in San Quentin for defrauding his followers.
1970: President Bebe Patten discovered to have her only degree (a doctorate) from McKinley-Roosevelt, which was on the official USDOE list of diploma mills at the time.
1998: WASC praises Patten as "a model of diversity."

What the heck. John Harvard and Elihu Yale probably had a few 'time bombs' in their resumes, too. Perhaps nothing this colorful:

From San Francisco Weekly,
"June 1950 -- Oakland evangelist C. Thomas "Cash" Patten convicted of five counts of fraud and sent to prison. From 1944 to 1948, Patten and his wife, who studies the art of the grift from Los Angeles sermonizer Aimee Semple McPherson, fleece Bay Area followers for over $1 million, spending it on fancy cars, a cabin cruiser, and Las Vegas gambling sprees. During the trial, which lasts 84 days, Patten supposedly has a heart attack. Proceedings are moved to a hospital auditorium, where he shows up every day in pajamas." (http://tinyurl.com/odfwpwf)
John Bear

Postby johann » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:32 pm

John Bear wrote:From the San Francisco Weekly: ...Patten and his wife, who studied the art of the grift from Los Angeles sermonizer Aimee Semple McPherson,

Wow! That study program had wicked cred! Better, even, than a RA degree in Grift. A Master Workshop -- at the very least. Perhaps even a "D. Grift!" :D

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:49 pm

Rich Douglas wrote:And?

Eric was attempting to start a thread on a recognized university - conveying info and hoping to generate some discussion. That, I thought, was one of the primary purposes of this forum. And he was successful in that effort.

Dr. Douglas has started precisely one thread in 2014, aside from the "off-topic" forum. It's here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9988

And there were no replies. His two 2014 entries in the off-topic forum had to do with DI and its tech. issues.

Eric has generated three threads in the 2014 General forum - and quite a few in the Off-Topic. Points for Eric. :mrgreen:

Johann
johann

Postby Rich Douglas » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:05 pm

It wasn't a criticism, but thank you for assuming it was.

The OP posted some innocuous information about a school. I was wondering what his point was. The thread subsequently contained much good info about the school in question. None required snark.
Rich Douglas

Return to General Discussions