Your M.B.A.'s Don't Have What It Takes

General discussions concerning institutions and degree programs.

Your M.B.A.'s Don't Have What It Takes

Postby Eric » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:57 am

Execs to B-Schools: Your M.B.A.'s Don't Have What It Takes to Succeed
By Erik Sherman | Inc

https://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/advisor ... 00154.html

C-suite executives are giving failing marks to business schools for not producing quality M.B.A.'s. Digging into the criticism yields plenty of hiring tips for startups.
It takes a combination of strong backbone and bravery to ask people what they think of what you do. Particularly if they're going to be candid and blunt.
That's exactly what happened with a recent study by the Hult International Business School. The survey asked 90 globally diverse business leaders about the state of business education--a big source of professional managers. The results were harsh: 44 percent had a negative view, 23 percent were mixed or neutral, and only a third were positive. Mind you, many of these leaders were probably the partial product of business schools.
Well, there goes the silver-bullet answer to management. The big beef was that the schools don't adequately prepare students for the modern workplace. The problem has three parts:
Schools don't measure if students learn relevant skills and behaviors. A single number, like a GPA, doesn't say nearly enough about what students have learned. Ironically, a high grade point average was often associated with a perception that students took easier courses, meaning they were risk averse and did not have the flexibility and agility companies need.

As the report said, "Collectively, these findings signal a business school industry in danger of becoming out of step, unless those schools make significant changes." Actually, it sounds as though many schools are already out of step and have been for some time.
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Re: Your M.B.A.'s Don't Have What It Takes

Postby Rich Douglas » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:51 pm

These complaints about MBA grads have been going on since the degree gained popularity in the 1970's. Too technical. Too soft. Too whatever, or not enough. Blah blah blah.
Rich Douglas

Postby Eric » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:38 pm

I guess this things can be told about any program or discipline.

Some schools do better job then others. In my field unless the degree RA, ABET accredited it looked as if its not fully up to standard.
The same trend evolves for MBA. Even if AACSB Accredited or AMBA etc still some declare substandard unless from top known program.

I like the saying that Dr. Bear uses. The prove is in the pudding.
Eric

President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby johann » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:43 pm

Earning a degree and performing on the job are two different things. You can't blame a school, if a grad turns in a lackluster performance in a management job, for instance. Same as law - a lawyer may have gone to a great law school but his clients fare badly at trial. Is it the school's fault?

Schools can teach you - but they can't give you abilities you just don't have -- interpersonal skills, etc. Getting marks is one thing. Performing on the job is a whole 'nother animal. Hopefully, a good school can favourably influence that performance. Certainly, no school can guarantee it. A superior school may have better odds, though.

And that's the "proof of the pudding," Eric. The whole phrase is "The proof of the pudding is in the eating." I think it slightly pre-dates Dr. Bear. ...Yes, it does, at least somewhat. I checked and its origins are in the early 14th Century -- and I think we can safely say that's the pre-Bear era. :)

Johann
johann

Postby Eric » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:19 pm

johann wrote:Earning a degree and performing on the job are two different things. You can't blame a school, if a grad turns in a lackluster performance in a management job, for instance. Same as law - a lawyer may have gone to a great law school but his clients fare badly at trial. Is it the school's fault?

Schools can teach you - but they can't give you abilities you just don't have -- interpersonal skills, etc. Getting marks is one thing. Performing on the job is a whole 'nother animal. Hopefully, a good school can favourably influence that performance. Certainly, no school can guarantee it. A superior school may have better odds, though.

And that's the "proof of the pudding," Eric. The whole phrase is "The proof of the pudding is in the eating." I think it slightly pre-dates Dr. Bear. ...Yes, it does, at least somewhat. I checked and its origins are in the early 14th Century -- and I think we can safely say that's the pre-Bear era. :)

Johann

Johann

I didn't make Dr. Bear the author of the"proof of the pudding", I made sure to write Dr Bear used that saying and he used it to make a point.
Interesting to know that it originated in 14 century. Yes predated Dr. Bear era but again I didn't make Dr. Bear an author :-).

I agree on the point that it's up to the individual and their abilities to perform on the job market.
But as you state some schools may do a better job in teaching. Maybe personal attention in a small sises classes.
But also latest technology and awesome research facilities, working with leading professors and scientists on assignments in the grad school prepare the graduate to succeed and excel on the job?

I know companies line up to get graduates from selected schools for a reason.

The I would like to ask why for example today leading companies that would consider a state university student for internship, today don't even look at the resume. They only look at students from schools like Stanford, Cal Tech or MIT
?
I'm talking about a friend who was kind enough to accept a kid I know in to Northrop Grumman internship this summer.
In his words we no longer even consider other schools applicants.

Why is that final year graduates from top MBA business school get job offers in their final year 2 of the MBA program.
Why is a state univ graduate doesn't get 3 job offers on their final year of the MBA. Nor did I at WGU when I earned my MBA.
Thanks God I have a good career, the MBA provided a tool set that expanded my abilities etc.
Eric

President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby johann » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:43 am

Eric wrote:I didn't make Dr. Bear the author of the"proof of the pudding", I made sure to write Dr Bear used that saying and he used it to make a point.
Interesting to know that it originated in 14 century. Yes predated Dr. Bear era but again I didn't make Dr. Bear an author .

I know you didn't, Eric. Your statement was perfectly plain -- and I, of course, misused it totally. Guilty! :) Just a joke on my part - suggesting that the ancient phrase somewhat pre-dated even the venerable Dr. Bear. Just a good-natured jibe from someone who's in the same age group as he is. We septuagenarians have to play our little jokes on each other ... make our little digs. :smile: Well, at least I do... Dr. Bear probably has bigger fish to fry.

As to your statements - yes, well-expressed and I can't disagree - or I'd look very stupid! :) As you said, schools vary widely in instruction and learning environment and grads of some are much more in demand than grads of the lesser schools. And as I said, when a grad screws up in the workplace, it's not always directly traceable to his/her school.

Johann
johann

Return to General Discussions