Inexpensive degrees? Lots -- all biz-tech, no arts.

General discussions concerning institutions and degree programs.

Inexpensive degrees? Lots -- all biz-tech, no arts.

Postby johann » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:03 am

Ever since I began infesting degree-fora, I've noticed new, inexpensive degree programs being (somewhat) regularly announced. The latest "Blue-Light Specials" are the $4,000 Bachelor's (Business or IT) from University of the People and the $3,000 MBA (including textbooks) from ILM - both DETC schools. Always Business and Tech degrees, it seems.

If one wants to earn a really low-cost degree majoring in Arts / Humanities subjects - then the search is usually confined to Big 3, India or South Africa. And the first option could easily exceed a bare-bones budget. I can see some reasons. Many study fields - e.g. literature, languages, art, history - are not as adaptable to mass-teaching as business and tech subjects -- and evaluation of students' work and verification of learning is, perhaps, a more time-consuming - and hence costly - process.

Yes, there are a very few DETC schools, e.g. Harrison Middleton U., that offer arts-oriented degrees - but not at UOTP or ILM price-points, by a long shot.

Any comments? I'm sure I've overlooked some reasons. Maybe I've overlooked some opportunities. Anybody think there may be reason for optimism - that this may change?

Johann

PS - And I'm aware of the quite-famous CSU-Dominguez Hills MA in Humanities - but I think it costs considerably more these days than the $6,000 of yesteryear. Still not in the ILM or UOTP ballpark.
johann

Re: Inexpensive degrees? Lots -- all biz-tech, no arts.

Postby nosborne48 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:50 am

You are excluding religion, I gather? Good idea.

Seems to me there was a fairly cheap DETC school, Yorktown University, that offered degrees in Government from a Constitutionalist Libertarian perspective. It lost its DETC accreditation because, frankly, no one enrolled!

The web site still exists but appears moribund.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby johann » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:21 am

nosborne48 wrote:You are excluding religion, I gather? Good idea.

Yes, thanks - and yes, thanks. :)

Yes - I remember Yorktown. Schools concentrating on political subjects do not interest me. I have no desire to study Government. If I failed in my obligations, e.g. filing a tax return - and I won't fail - I'm sure the Government would want to study me. :(

I guess we could say "too bad it's gone," for those who espouse Yorktown's brand of politics -- but virtually nobody enrolled. Maybe authentic Libertarians feel they don't need academic degrees to run their kind of Government - I don't know. :?:

Johann

"I've got a major in Rhythm, a minor in Soul
And a Ph.D. in the Blues" - "Road Scholar," by Delbert McClinton,
johann

Postby SteveFoerster » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:39 pm

Not that it matters much now, but I would describe Yorktown University as having been conservative rather than libertarian.

As for why there's no $3,000 BA in Poetry, I think the reason is as discussed -- too few people want to study that. We talk often about how HMU's doctoral programs offer something otherwise unique, but they've enrolled and graduated how many people? Few enough to fit in a VW Bug, isn't it? (That's not a criticism of the program, that's more of a general lament, actually.)
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby johann » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:14 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:Not that it matters much now, but I would describe Yorktown University as having been conservative rather than libertarian.
As for why there's no $3,000 BA in Poetry, I think the reason is as discussed -- too few people want to study that. We talk often about how HMU's doctoral programs offer something otherwise unique, but they've enrolled and graduated how many people? Few enough to fit in a VW Bug, isn't it? (That's not a criticism of the program, that's more of a general lament, actually.)

You're right, Steve. For myself, I'd like a $3,000 BA in French Literature - or possibly Latin Literature - or Medieval History, if it becomes available. Poetry would be OK too, as would Modern Art or Music History. And yes - I'm sure all those fields would attract even fewer students than your Poetry example. I guess numbers do dictate the price, to a large extent. As to HMU Doctors, I believe those so qualified could fit into an MGB - there were two, at last report.

Yes - what I'm looking for is - sort of - HMU at ILM prices -- wishful thinking, for sure.

To self: Snap out of it, Johann! :shock:

J.
johann

Postby nosborne48 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:11 am

I had a 1972 MG Midget. Heavens, what an awful car!
nosborne48

Postby johann » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:56 pm

nosborne48 wrote:I had a 1972 MG Midget. Heavens, what an awful car!

I had a relative - a 1961 Austin-Healey Bug-Eye Sprite. My first - and WORST car! Maybe we should start a car-thread in Off-Topic. There's been flak before over hijacked threads-turned-car-stories. :)

Johann
johann

Postby nosborne48 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:37 pm

No need; I've said all there I to say abouth my Midget. :wink:
nosborne48

Postby SteveFoerster » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:23 pm

My '96 Miata has all of the fun but with a great repair record. I've had it for three years and in that time only had to change out the radiator and water pump, brakes, a new soft top, and some sort of gasket that wasn't a big deal. Not bad for a car that's old enough to vote, especially when compared with three years in payments for a new car.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby johann » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:02 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:My '96 Miata has all of the fun but with a great repair record.

Indeed, Steve. If you want the "British sports car experience" - it's better to get it from Japan! 'Way better!
And right again -- just about anything (including walking) beats years of car payments.

Johann
johann

Postby levicoff » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:17 am

johann wrote:
nosborne48 wrote:I had a 1972 MG Midget. Heavens, what an awful car!

I had a relative - a 1961 Austin-Healey Bug-Eye Sprite. My first - and WORST car! Maybe we should start a car-thread in Off-Topic. There's been flak before over hijacked threads-turned-car-stories. :)

I wouldn’t worry . . . I submit that they discussion of cars such as the MG Midget, Austin-Healy, and Miata fully qualify for the heading of “Humanities.” (Not to mention the Volkswagen Beetle, either old or new, despite its Nazi past.)

Now, if you were discussing, say, a Mustang or a big-ass Chevy pick-up, that would be off topic. But not cars that relate to the Humanities.

So, did I mention that last week I was issued a brand-new 2015 Freightliner Cascadia with a wonderfully comfortable sleeper cab? Should be perfect for going to the theatre. :mrgreen:
levicoff

Postby nosborne48 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:23 am

You gonna put the low rider suspension kit in that Freightliner? :mrgreen:
nosborne48

Postby johann » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:32 pm

levicoff wrote:So, did I mention that last week I was issued a brand-new 2015 Freightliner Cascadia with a wonderfully comfortable sleeper cab? Should be perfect for going to the theatre. :mrgreen:

And you could probably install a "home theater" or "theatre" as they always spell it, here in Canada, in that cavernous deluxe sleeper, to view DVDs of your favourite performances, wherever live theatre wasn't available -- e.g. the Mojave desert. :)

Johann
johann

Postby levicoff » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:33 pm

johann wrote:And you could probably install a "home theater" or "theatre" as they always spell it, here in Canada, in that cavernous deluxe sleeper, to view DVDs of your favourite performances, wherever live theatre wasn't available -- e.g. the Mojave desert. :)

Actually, when I got my CDL (hard to believe I’ve been doing this for 17 years), I vowed never to put a TV on board my truck. Therefore, a home theater would appear to be out of the picture, so to speak. I do maintain a few DVD’s on board that I can watch on the computer in the event that the theatre picture is dry on a given weekend. I also use it to catch up on the new flicks that I should see (which are very few), as I tend to avoid movie theatres (an oxymoron in my mind).

As for the Mojave, I recall a conversation I had with a fleet manager a few years ago when he sent me to the boondocks in Pennsylvania for a Monday pick-up…

“Sorry,” he said, “I guess you won’t be able to do theatre this weekend.”

“Watch me,” I replied.

When I arrived at the truckstop in rural north central PA, I got on the internet and found that there was, in fact, a theatre plunk in the middle of a state forest only 20 minutes north of the truckstop. I dropped and secured my trailer and bobtailed (when you have only the tractor with you) into the middle of the woods for a performance of the musical Little Shop of Horrors. It was probably the worst production of the show I’d ever seen, but the surroundings made it a lot of fun.

(I give a lot of credit to people in community theatre, even when the production is horribly bad, because they had the balls to attempt it in the first place. Shows like that fall under the category of “so bad that they’re good.”)

Ultimately, I returned to the forest several times, often staying to camp out after the show in my camper-that-looks-like-a-tractor. There’s nothing like seeing Sondheim’s Into the Woods in the middle of the woods. :mrgreen:

This weekend is a bit more traditional. Tonight I’m catching (on stage) the old classic Arsenic and Old Lace (known primarily for the Frank Capra-directed film version with Cary Grant, but featuring the great Boris Karloff on Broadway). Tomorrow it’s another old classic, Life With Father (still the longest-running play ever on Broadway). Then off to Michigan for the day on Monday, followed by a quick jaunt to Ohio and back to Pennsylvania. In other words, I’m still always on vacation. 8)
levicoff

Postby johann » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:36 pm

levicoff wrote:In other words, I’m still always on vacation. 8)

Indeed you are, Dr. Steve. You certainly know how to live!

I'm always "on vacation," too. I've been retired for over 20 years -- took the money and ran at the earliest opportunity. Very glad I did, but maybe I should sneak back and take some more... :)

Johann
johann

Return to General Discussions