IUGS or CSU? Would appreciate feedback.

General discussions concerning institutions and degree programs.

Re: IUGS or CSU? Would appreciate feedback.

Postby vinny123 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:50 pm

[quote="johann"][quote="Kathy"]Johann and David, I initiated this thread to obtain feedback regarding an issue that is very significant to me and perhaps others.[/quote]
And you duly received it. And at the end, I even tried to sum it up with my phony-Russian remark about "make sure the degree will get you where you want to go." In a nutshell, I think that's the most important thing to remember, when choosing a school -- particularly if you're going off-the-beaten-path.

[quote="Kathy"] ... quite frankly it is disrespectful...[/quote]
No disrespect intended [u]whatsoever[/u]. You obviously haven't experienced me in "disrespectful mode." Others have - I assure you.

[quote="Kathy"]First I am referred to as a doofus by levicoff,[/quote]
If Dr. Levicoff referred to me as a doofus, he would be right - just because he [u]always[/u] is. And I would do my best to wear the epithet with grace, style and dignity. I think I could pull that off. If anyone else dared to refer to me as a doofus, I'd tear them apart. And I can do [u]that[/u], too.

[quote="Kathy"]No wonder this forum is dead compared to the life force on Degree Info. I'm out of here.[/quote]
See you over there, sometime, then. Maybe I'll see Dr. Douglas, too :)

Johann

PS - A wise man (who has long since lost interest in these fora) once said you need to develop a thick skin in the degree-media. It was one of the most valuable lessons I learned in the "degree-jungle."[/quote]

VINNY: Johann the position as Village Idiot is still available. Unfortunately you are overqualified! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Vinny
vinny123

Postby johann » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:58 pm

Again - enjoy the last word, Vinny.
johann

Re: Flatheads Forever!

Postby vinny123 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:00 pm

[quote="johann"][quote="vinny123"]YOU and your pals don't determine whether there is nothing more to be said about a topic.[/quote]
OK. But you don't run the forum either - any more than we do. You can huff and puff and the house will still be standing.

Johann[/quote]

VINNY: No equivalence here my get- over friend. I don't derail others' threads but YOU DO! And that is the bottomline. So if you need to act out your hostility and disrespect for others do so somewhere else, not at the expense of others.
Vinny
vinny123

Postby SteveFoerster » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:13 pm

johann wrote:
Kathy wrote:First I am referred to as a doofus by levicoff,

If Dr. Levicoff referred to me as a doofus, he would be right - just because he always is.

Hardly. Even he admits his expertise on distance learning is long past its sell-by date. He's had no role to play on forums like this in years other than chasing away newcomers with these sorts of childish, meanspirited remarks.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby David » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:34 pm

Something I learned from a savvy supervisor that helped enormously in my career as a psychologist is the many ways in which behavior can be overdetermined. If you're unfamiliar with this concept – and for the interested reader – it means behavior has multiple etiologies. In this situation I posted with the altruistic hope you might benefit from my costly mistake. I am, simultaneously, capable of enjoying a bit of repartee with other forum participants.

We sought to be helpful and had a bit of fun in the process; we don't deserve your scorn. Lighten up, Kathy; its really not all about you.
David

Postby vinny123 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:14 pm

[quote="David"]Something I learned from a savvy supervisor that helped enormously in my career as a psychologist is the many ways in which behavior can be overdetermined. If you're unfamiliar with this concept – and for the interested reader – it means behavior has multiple etiologies. In this situation I posted with the altruistic hope you might benefit from my costly mistake. I am, simultaneously, capable of enjoying a bit of repartee with other forum participants.

VINNY: With all due respect David, perhaps you are not aware of the patronizing, infantalizing and condescending manner in which you come across when constantly offering your "advice" and experiences to others. Just an observation.

David: We sought to be helpful and had a bit of fun in the process; we don't deserve your scorn. Lighten up, Kathy; its really not all about you.[/quote][quote="David"]Something I learned from a savvy supervisor that helped enormously in my career as a psychologist is the many ways in which behavior can be overdetermined. If you're unfamiliar with this concept – and for the interested reader – it means behavior has multiple etiologies. In this situation I posted with the altruistic hope you might benefit from my costly mistake. I am, simultaneously, capable of enjoying a bit of repartee with other forum participants.

VINNY: IMO, it's also "not all about" YOU either David, and that is the impression you project when you consistently provide your professional experiences and examples, which in many cases are not attuned to the questions posed, in lieu of relating to posters in a down to earth manner as peers. Perhaps you may wish to heed your advice and "Lighten up".
Vinny
vinny123

Postby johann » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:39 pm

Vinny wrote:Johann the position as Village Idiot is still available.

Not interested, Vinny. My ambition is higher: GLOBAL Idiot. And from what I hear, I have a very good chance. Very few with my qualifications and most of them are preoccupied as Heads of State or other political roles.

Only one thing stands in my way: I can make the quotes work. :)

Johann

And David - perhaps we DO deserve Vinny's scorn, as you put it. I intend to wear it proudly. To be scorned by Vinny - that can be construed as a badge of honour, on this battlefield. I suggest you might consider wearing it with style, dignity and grace - just as I would if Dr. Levicoff, who has my lasting respect, ever called me a "doofus" or similar. ...Or not, as you prefer. You have earned my respect, either way. :)
johann

Postby Kathy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:24 pm

Although this thread has lost its original intent and direction, thanks to the gross indifference, disrespect and self-centeredness of several posters, I would like to thank, Rich Douglas, Vinny and Steve Foerster for attempting to assist me with my questions and defending a poster's right to not have their thread abruptly terminated due to the lack of empathy of others. It is greatly appreciated.
Kathy

Postby Rich Douglas » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:56 pm

Kathy wrote:Although this thread has lost its original intent and direction, thanks to the gross indifference, disrespect and self-centeredness of several posters, I would like to thank, Rich Douglas, Vinny and Steve Foerster for attempting to assist me with my questions and defending a poster's right to not have their thread abruptly terminated due to the lack of empathy of others. It is greatly appreciated.

One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

Sesame Street - One Of These Things (is Not Like The Others)

(Kathy, you might also consider sending a PM to any member whose assistance you seek.)
Rich Douglas

Postby nosborne48 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:15 am

Hm. Are Kathy and Vinney the same person?
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby levicoff » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:59 am

nosborne48 wrote:Hm. Are Kathy and Vinney [sic] the same person?

I doubt it. First, Kathy knows how to use the quote function, something Vinny hasn't mastered despite his years here.

Second, Kathy is in over her head here and doesn't quite know how to deal with it. Vinny, of course, is also in over his head here... and just doesn't give a rat's ass.

But they do seem to have a mutual interest in earning a doctorate... from mickey-mouse schools. :mrgreen:
levicoff

Postby vinny123 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:01 am

[quote="nosborne48"]Hm. Are Kathy and Vinney the same person?[/quote]

As usual Nosborne you are incorrect. Levicoff and me are the same person. :roll: :wink:
Vinny
vinny123

Postby vinny123 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:06 am

[quote="levicoff"][quote="nosborne48"]Hm. Are Kathy and Vinney [sic] the same person?[/quote]
I doubt it. First, Kathy knows how to use the [i]quote[/i] function, something Vinny hasn't mastered despite his years here.

Second, Kathy is in over her head here and doesn't quite know how to deal with it. Vinny, of course, is also in over his head here... and just doesn't give a rat's ass.

But they do seem to have a mutual interest in earning a doctorate... from mickey-mouse schools. :mrgreen:[/quote]

VINNY: Levi, that's not true that I don't give a rat's ass. Don't I give you a rat's ass every time you act up. :wink:
Vinny
vinny123

Me Too

Postby David » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:58 pm

Me too.

I don't see Vinny as playing a dual role. Sarcasm in response to perceived slights isn't his style. Moreover, while I often disagree with the man ya gotta give him his due. He reminds me of Rocky Balboa in Rocky I, a film with special significance I might add; he hangs in and goes the distance.
David

Re: Me Too

Postby johann » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:21 pm

David wrote:...he hangs in and goes the distance.

Yes - but only with a single opponent -the man he loves to hate.

Vinny-911 wrote:Levi, that's not true that I don't give a rat's ass...

Usually, it's only when Dr. Steve arrives, casually brushing the snow from his immaculate trucker's vest, that we see Vinny, following closely - assiduously, perhaps.

What's that trucker's term - "lot lizard?" :mrgreen:

Johann
johann

Previous

Return to General Discussions